[Skip to content]


How to become an EHO

EHOs / EHPs work to ensure that the food we eat is safe and of good quality, to improve housing conditions, to safeguard standards of workplace health and safety, and to create a better environment.

As an environmental health practitioner (EHP) you can choose to be a generalist or to specialise in a particular area. You might be employed by a major supermarket chain to manage food safety and hygiene, by a housing association to advise on housing standards, or by a local authority to deal with noise nuisance or environmental pollution.

For new entrants to environmental health, there are three stages to qualifying as an environmental health practitioner (EHP):


The EH Careers website provides information for school leavers, or those planning to undertake a qualification in environmental health.

Where do EHO's work in Dudley?

EHPs work in a number of different work roles in the Council, including:

Food safety

Health and Safety

Environmental Protection

Waste Management

Private Sector Housing

Further information

Visit http://www.cieh.org/professional_development/becoming_an_EHP.html

Contact Details

  • Name Food and Trading Standards
  • Address People Directorate, 4 Ednam Road, Dudley, West Midlands DY1 1HL
  • Telephone 0300 555 2345