[Skip to content]


Men's Sexual Health

Erectile Dysfunction­

Many men at some time in their lives have a problem in achieving or maintaining an erection, or perhaps premature ejaculation is a problem. The obvious thing to do is to go and have a chat with your GP. Your practice may provide a special clinic or you may get a referral to see a consultant in genito-urinary medicine (GUM) at the local hospital.

Testicular Cancer

Cancer of the testicles is rare, but is the most common cancer in men aged 15-45. Testicular cancer is nearly always curable if it is caught early enough. Early detection means simpler, more effective treatment with fewer side effects.

See your GP if you notice any of the following:

  • a hard lump on the front or side of a testicle.
  • an increase in firmness of a testicle.
  • pain or discomfort in a testicle or in the scrotum.
  • an unusual difference between one testicle and another.

Other warning signs include:

  • a heavy feeling in the scrotum.
  • a dull ache in the lower stomach groin or scrotum.


If you are considering having a vasectomy (male sterilisation) you should make an appointment to see your GP or go to a contraceptive and sexual health clinic (CASH) where you can be properly counselled before you make a final decision. All treatment is confidential and free. Sterilisation is meant to be a permanent method of contraception, however,  there are reversal operations available but not always successful.

Male sterilisation is much easier to perform than female sterilisation and you should talk this through with your partner and counsellor before deciding.

Find out about what is involved in the sterilisation operation.

Sexually Transmitted Infections and HIV

If you have had unprotected sex and think you may have contracted a sexually transmitted infection (STI) or HIV then you need to get checked out. Many STIs do not have any symptoms so you might not even know if you are infected, but you could be passing it on to your new partners.

Contact the clinic for genito-urinary medicine (GUM) on 01384 456111 Ext: 3900 to make an appointment or 01384 456111 Ext: 3904 to speak to a health advisor.

Remember the sooner you see a health professional the better – some infections can cause long term health problems if they are not treated early.

You can find out more about GUM and STIs please view the 'information about' section of the site.

Summit House Support

This is a charitable organisation that supports individuals and families affected by HIV.

There are HIV support groups and a gay men’s outreach project.

Telephone: 01384 243220

NHS Direct Patient Information


Cancer of the prostate

Cancer of the testicle

Domestic Violence

Ejaculation problems

Erectile dysfunction

Male contraceptive pill


Prostate disease

Testicular lumps, benign

Thrush, men


Men’s Health page topic page on NHS Choices


This information has been checked by doctors to ensure it is correct and appropriate for patients.

My Dudley

For local property information, enter your postcode and hit 'Go'