[Skip to content]

.

Stourbridge War Memorial upgraded to Grade II* status

The memorial
Stourbridge's War Memorial at Mary Stevens Park

Stourbridge’s War Memorial has been classified as a “particularly important” monument of “more than special interest” by Historic England.

The memorial at Mary Stevens Park was already Grade II listed and “of special interest”. But it has now been upgraded to Grade II* status – “particularly important buildings of more than special interest” - following a review by the public body tasked with preserving the nation’s history.

It has been listed for re-designation as part of Historic England’s First World War Commemoration project. The project seeks to record and commemorate the Great War conflict on the home front, and to protect war memorials.

Only six per cent of listed buildings across the country have such a status. Other examples of Grade II* listed buildings or structures in the UK include Battersea Power Station in London, the Coliseum Theatre in the capital and Middlesbrough Transporter Bridge.

Councillor Ian Kettle, cabinet member for planning and economic development, said:

“We are delighted with this news, which comes at a particularly apt time with Remembrance Sunday just around the corner.

“It is a beautiful and historic monument to the hundreds of very brave soldiers from Stourbridge who gave their lives for their country during times of conflict.

“Having it listed protects it for future generations to see the sacrifices that were made by their forefathers.”

The memorial commemorates the fallen of the Stourbridge area for the First and Second World Wars, and a single casualty of the Gulf War. It was designed to commemorate specifically the 377 dead of the borough during the 1914-18 conflict.

The town memorial was unveiled on February 25, 1923, by the Earl of Coventry at its original location, in the junction of Church Street and Hagley Road, outside the Free Library and at the southern end of the High Street.

Following the Second World War, a further 135 names were added to the memorial to commemorate those who had died in that conflict. The memorial was moved to Mary Stevens Park in 1968 when the ring road was built.

A plaque was added to the memorial in 2011, commemorating a local soldier who had died in the First Gulf War, and in 2014 the name of one further First World War soldier was added.

News Release Contact Information

Press office - pressoffice@dudley.gov.uk - 01384 815219