[Skip to content]


Untaxed Motor Vehicles

Untaxed vehicles being kept on the public road, but not abandoned

It is an offence to use or keep on the public road a motor vehicle (registered in the UK) without a valid current vehicle licence (road tax). 

The Council can arrange for enforcement action by the DVLA, but only if the vehicle can be found by the DVLA during normal working hours and its tax has expired by two months and one day. In most cases the DVLA will clamp or impound such vehicles.

The council works in partnership with the local Police Community Support Officers to deal with these types of vehicles.  The Council has removed over 200 untaxed vehicles using these devolved powers.

What will the Council do about an untaxed vehicle?

The Council will assess vehicles by making enquiries with DVLA and Police, and by inspection if necessary.

If the vehicle is on a public road and its vehicle licence has expired by 2 months and one day but it does not appear to be abandoned, the Council will arrange for the DVLA to clamp or impound the vehicle if possible.

Report Untaxed vehicles being kept on the public road

If you see a vehicle on the public road with an out of date tax disc, you can report it online, by telephone or by post. You don’t have to give your name. Your report will be investigated and enforcement action taken, if needed.

Report it to the DVLA using their online form for Reporting of unlicensed vehicles on the public highway

If your vehicle has been removed the DVLA will require you to pay their charges before the vehicle is released.

How to check if a vehicle is taxed

You can check if a vehicle is currently taxed by using the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) online Vehicle enquiry service. You will need to know the registration number and make of the vehicle.

Contact Details

  • Name Waste Care, Environmental Management
  • Address Directorate of the Urban Environment, Waste Care, Lister Road Depot, Lister Road, Dudley, West Midlands, DY2 8JW
  • Telephone 0300 555 2345