[Skip to content]


Private landlords

Landlord and property accreditation  

We operate 2 accreditation schemes – a landlord Accreditation Scheme which links to the Midland Landlord Accreditation Scheme (MLAS) and accredits individual landlords on standards of management in the sector and

Dudley's Property Accreditation Scheme which accredits the property, not the owner. 

Both accreditation schemes are aimed at driving up standards in the private rented sector by recognising those landlords that are working towards improving the quality of accommodation in the private rented market through the provision of professional development training on legislative requirements, good practice in the sector, dealing with common tenancy management problems and technical advice to bring properties up to set housing standards. 

:: more on landlord and property accreditation 

Landlords forum and newsletter

A supply of good quality private rental accommodation in the Borough is important to respond to growing housing demand but also to provide a range of housing options to suit all needs across the Borough.  Our landlords' newsletter and twice-yearly forum give us the opportunity to work with landlords and letting agents through the provision of advice and information, so that there is a range of housing accommodation available to suit all needs within the community.

For further information on the next forum call 01384 815070.

:: view the current issue of the Dudley landlord newsletter

Are you willing to provide accommodation to young 16-25 year olds with the right support? 

Churches Housing Association of Dudley and District Ltd (CHADD) is a small charitable housing association providing a range of housing options for people who need support for them to live in the community. They have over 27 years experience in providing supported housing to single people, older persons and people with special needs. 

CHADD are keen to work with private sector landlords who may already house or are willing to house young people between the ages of 16-25 years of age. They will provide OUTREACH support to ensure tenants maintain their tenancies in the following ways: 

  • Housing benefit claims

  • Tackling debts

  • Registering with GPs

  • Providing links to other agencies

  • Advising of services available to tenants in the area

  • Encouraging tenants to access appropriate education and training

  • Working towards employment opportunities 

The service is free to the user and is funded by Dudley MBC Supporting People Grant. 

If you are interested in helping CHADD provide move-on accommodation from their FOYER PROJECT through offering a tenancy in the private rented sector, you can contact the service on 01384 456465 or by email at:  admin@chaddltd.co.uk 

See the leaflet Foyer Project for further information.

Houses in Multiple Occupation and Licensing

HMOs and licensing 

A HMO is a house in multiple occupation and applies to buildings that are either a single dwelling or a flat where one or more separate households share facilities such as; kitchens, toilet and bathroom. In April 2006 the government introduced a compulsory licensing system for certain types of HMOs. Those HMOs that are over 3 stories and are occupied by five or more persons comprising of two separate households must be licensed. The council is responsible for maintaining a licensing scheme for properties of this type, so if your property fits the criteria outlined in the guidance contact Private Sector Housing to apply for a licence on 01384 815118.  

Please note there is no auto-save function on this form. You should ensure that you have all certificates available as attachments before completing the form.

You will need the following documents to complete the form

  • Building Sketch Plan

  • Planning Consent (where appropriate)

  • Building Regulations (where appropriate)

  • Gas Certificate

  • Electrical Certificate

  • Fire Detection Certificate

  • Emergency Lighting Certificate

The form should take around 30 minutes to complete.

Any queries please call Private Sector Housing on 01384 815118 to discuss.

Homestamp information 

Homestamp is a partnership consortium with an interest in private sector housing comprising of Local Authorities, the Private Rented Sector, West Midlands Police and West Midlands Fire Service. 

Our aim is to: 

  • Encourage the supply of good quality private rented homes

  • To provide and facilitate information and training for landlords

  • To consider and respond to regional and national issues affecting the private rented sector

  • To encourage joint working between all interested parties 

:: thinking of renting from a private landlord

:: visit the homestamp website


The council aims to protect and promote the health and well-being of the people living in the Dudley Borough by improving private sector rented housing, public health and the environment, via the provision of advice, support and enforcement action where required. 

We will operate with principles of the Regulators Compliance Code. That is proportionality in applying the law and securing compliance; consistency of approach; targeting of enforcement action; transparency about how we operate and what those regulated may expect; and accountability for our actions. 

Housing health and safety rating system (HHSRS)  

The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) is the government's system for assessing the health and safety risks in dwellings, and is designed as a replacement for the old fitness standard used by Environmental Health Officers in Private Sector Housing to inspect properties in the private sector within Dudley. See related documents to the right for further information or visit the link below.

:: more on the health and safety rating system

Smoke free regulations and private accommodation  

Are you a landlord/managing agent of a residential premises that has ‘common areas’ such as shared hallways, kitchens, bathrooms and living rooms? If so the Smoke free legislation, which came into force in England on the 1st July 2007, applies to you.  

:: more on smoke free regulations

Help with tenancies

Help with tenancies  

We are here to help landlords with the rental of their properties. We can advise on the setting up and management of tenancies – in line with legislative requirements. If your property meets our standard you can be included on our list of registered landlords. See Thinking about renting out your home? for further information. Application documents on this and other tenancy related issues can be accessed using the link below:  

:: more on help with tenancies

Gas safety

Landlords must ensure that gas appliances installed in their rented properties are maintained and that tenants are provided with a current landlords gas safety certificate.  

:: more on gas safety

:: gas safety - a guide to landlords' duties

Housing assistance scheme

The scheme helps landlords to repair and improve their properties, by assisting with finance through a mixture of loans or grants. Landlords will normally qualify for financial assistance to bring their properties up to the decent homes standard, if they are applying to become one of our accredited landlords through our property accreditation scheme. For further information on housing assistance please contact us on 01384 815118.

Anti-social behaviour

We all have the right to live in peace free from the nuisance of noisy neighbours, threatening behaviour or harassment. If your tenants complain about antisocial behaviour or someone complains to you about your tenants, action will need to be taken. In this instance contact Dudley’s Community Safety Team on 0300 555 2345. Further information on dealing with anti-social behaviour in the private sector is available in Housing and Anti-social Behaviour - A guide for residents.

:: more on anti-social behaviour

Rogue Landlords

Around 3.6 million people live in private rented accommodation. Whilst the majority of landlords provide good quality accommodation, a minority of landlords try to exploit their tenants - often targeting the most vulnerable in society, placing them in squalid, overcrowded or poor conditions. The Council has signed up to the Rogue Landlord Project and will investigate landlords where complaints have been made about them or their rented property.

Visit the link below to find out further information. You can also report a "Rogue Landlord" by completing our on-line form on the page below.

:: Making a complaint against your landlord

Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarm (England) Regulations 2015

Private sector landlords are required from 1 October 2015 to have at least one smoke alarm installed on every storey of their properties and a carbon monoxide alarm in any room containing a solid fuel burning appliance (e.g. coal fire, wood burning stove). After that, the landlord must make sure the alarms are in working order at the start of each tenancy.

:: more on the smoke and carbon monoxide alarm regulations