[Skip to content]


Social Care

In September 2014, the Department for Education published a social care guide to SEND. This guide is for social care professionals. It is designed to help social care practitioners and commissioners understand their statutory duties under the special educational needs and disability reforms in the Children and Families Act 2014.

Social care: Guide to the 0 to 25 SEND Code of Practice

Role and Duties of Children’s Social Care

The SEND Code of Practice states that where a child or young person has been assessed as having social care needs in relation to their SEN or disabilities, social care teams:

  • Must secure social care provision under the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act (CSDPA) 1970 which has been assessed as being necessary to support a child or young person’s SEN and which is specified in their EHC plan

  • Should provide early years providers, schools and colleges with a contact for social care advice on children and young people with SEN and disabilities  

  • Must undertake reviews of children and young people with EHC plans where there are social care needs

  • Should make sure that for looked after children and care leavers the arrangements for assessing and meeting their needs across education, health and social care are co-ordinated effectively within the process of care and pathway planning, in order to avoid duplication and delay. All planning should include liaison with the Virtual School Head (VSH) for looked after children

  • Where children or young people with SEN or disabilities also have a child in need or child protection plan, the child's social worker should ensure the statutory timescales for social care assessments are met and any assessments are aligned with EHC needs assessments wherever possible.

Social Care Team

Children's Social Care offer services and support to some of the most vulnerable children and young people in our community. These include children in care, children with disabilities, and victims of abuse.

We also support their families and carers, as well as young people who are themselves caring for someone else, such as a parent, a brother or sister or a grandparent.

The Social Care Team work with local health teams, Connexions and the voluntary sector as well as colleagues in Youth Offending Team, Education, Housing and youth services.

If you are concerned about a child or young person please call the telephone numbers below or visit our Children and family care web pages.

During office hours (9:00 – 5:00 Mon-Fri) please call:

Brierley Hill Area Office Telephone: 01384 813000

Dudley, Sedgley and Coseley Area Office Telephone: 01384 813200

Halesowen and Stourbridge Area Office Telephone: 01384 815902

Emergency Duty Team

If you need to contact a social worker when offices are closed, and the matter is urgent, you can telephone the out of hours emergency duty team on their new telephone number 0300 555 8574.

You will be asked to leave your name and a contact number and the duty social worker will return your call as soon as possible.

This service provides urgent cover between 5pm and 9am weekdays and 24 hours a day during weekends and on public holidays to deal with urgent work involving vulnerable children and adults, their families and carers.

If your situation is life- threatening dial 999

Assessment of Need

If a parent or someone else, such as a teacher or health visitor, thinks that a child needs some help, they can ask a social worker to visit the family and discuss this with them. So that we get a clear picture the social worker will want to find out about the child’s health, education, emotions, how they get on with the family, social skills and self care skills. They will also want to know how the parents meet the child’s needs through basic care, ensuring safety, emotional warmth and stimulation, and providing guidance and a stable family situation. We will also look at how the wider family, family history and the local community affect the child. We will also want to talk to other agencies that have contact with the child.

To find out more about the assessment process and the support available please visit the child assessment information

Specialist Teams

In Dudley there are several specialist support teams who work together to provide advice and support to children and young people with special educational needs /or disabilities. The specialist teams include:

Dudley SENDIASS (formerly Dudley Parent Partnership Service) provides impartial information, advice and support to young people and parents, covering special educational needs (SEN), disability, health and social care

Helpline number:01384 236677
Address: Trafalgar House, 47-49 King Street,  Dudley, DY2 8PS


My Dudley

For local property information, enter your postcode and hit 'Go'

Local Offer Search Site

For quick access to information on Local Services and Activities click below: