Dudley Town Centre Policies
The Council's vision for Dudley is as a prosperous and attractive market town providing services for the local community and people visiting the town, together with nearby tourist attractions. The town centre will be an important focus for a wide variety of shopping, leisure, community, cultural, housing and administrative activity.
The Development Framework has identified 6 distinct areas of the town: Market, Bottom Church, Castle, Top Church, Cultural Quarter and College.
DTC1 THOROUGHFARES AND PUBLIC SPACES
- Traffic management measures will be supported to improve the safety and movement of vehicles and pedestrians.
- Pedestrian routes will be improved in specified areas.
- Public transport improvements are looked for at the Bus Station; with new bus lanes; Midland Metro.
- Priority for short stay parking for shoppers and visitors will be part of a comprehensive parking strategy.
- Public spaces will be protected and enhanced: Market Place; Stone Street Square; Inhedge Gardens; Churchill Centre; Castle Hill and Coronation Gardens.
- Major entrances to the town will be improved at Castle Hill, Flood Street, Broadway and Upper High Street.
DTC2 STREET BLOCKS (i-xvi)
The town centre is divided into blocks, which represent areas of established land uses, which are expected to continue in much the same form, and areas of development opportunity where preferred new land uses are proposed. The following is a list of some of the more significant proposals:
- The provision of 600 dwellings within the town centre.
- A strengthened compact core shopping area.
- A new large foodstore, together with other compatible uses at King Street/Flood Street. This will require a retail frontage to King Street, some residential development, clear and convenient connections to the rest of the town centre and surrounding areas, integration with Midland Metro and a retention of short stay car parking provision.
- A partial or comprehensive redevelopment of the area between Castle Street and Tower Street.
- A multi-level car park in Tower Street.
- A comprehensive redevelopment or renewal of the Trident Centre.
- A continued relaxation of the uses to be allowed in Upper High Street to encourage more mixed uses in what has become a secondary shopping centre.
- Mixed use redevelopment, primarily housing within the rundown area between High Street and King Street west of Top Church.
- The creation of a new public square in Stone Street/Priory Street with new mixed use redevelopment.
- Residential development on the former Girls High School, providing there is adequate alternative parking provision.
- Redevelopment of the area between Hall Street and Trindle Road, with options for conversion or redevelopment of Cavendish House. Preferred uses would be business, hotels, and residential or commercial leisure.
These early documents relate to the preparation of the Dudley Unitary Development Plan and chart the stages and position of policy in the Plan at each stage of the review. They are intended for reference only and the content does not necessarily reflect the current state of play.