[Skip to content]

Due to essential maintenance online form services may be unavailable at times between 08:00 and 18:00 tomorrow, Tuesday 17th July 2018. We apologise for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Duty Planning Officer

Dudley’s duty planning officer will offer free, general planning advice and support to enquirer’s. The support offered is to signpost and guide enquirer’s to the relevant planning policy/legislation and to offer advice on procedure within the department. This service is available by email by phone or in person without appointment Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm:

Email: development.control@dudley.gov.uk
Phone: 01384 814136
Address: 4 Ednam Road, Dudley DY1 1HL

If you call or email we will always aim get a response to you within 2 working days. If your enquiry is a little more complex we may advise that you apply for pre-application advice. The following link will take you to the relevant Council web page for further information:


Please note there are certain pre-application types that are now incur a fee. These include household extensions, change of use, enquiries relating to development in Conservation Areas or to Listed Buildings and enquiries related to protected trees.

The Duty Planning Officer role is performed by planning officers within the department and as a result is a multidisciplinary team coving Development Management, Planning Policy and Planning Enforcement.

The duty officer does assist with the following:

  • Advice verbally on permitted development enquiries based on the information provided.

  • General planning advice and guidance as to whether planning permission is/would be required for a particular development.

  • The procedure for submitting a planning application and the handling of a planning application once validated.

  • Planning policy allocations.

  • How to log a planning enforcement complaint.

  • Advise if a site/building is considered a heritage asset.

  • Assist with the process of submitting a planning application.

  • Advise of Development Control Committee procedure/dates/members.

  • Classified Road status.

The duty officer does not assist with:

  • Offer a view on the likelihood of any development getting planning permission.

  • Assess plans for any development in any form.

  • Advice on the Party Wall Act or covenants on deeds.

  • Hold information related to drainage, land ownership or, boundary locations.

  • Help with neighbour disputes.

  • Assist with personal searches.


My Dudley

For local property information, enter your postcode and hit 'Go'