[Skip to content]


Customer feedback

Help us to get it right

Dudley Council tries to provide high quality, affordable services to all its customers. There are times when we do things well, but there may also be times when things go wrong and you are left unhappy or dissatisfied.

We want to hear from you if you have a compliment, comment or complaint about our services.

Your compliment, comment or complaint may be about:

  • the kind of services we offer
  • the services you receive
  • the lack of services
  • changes to services
  • costs of services
  • how helpful we have been


The council recognises and greatly values the importance of any positive feedback from the customers we serve. Therefore, we want to hear from you whenever you feel the service you have received merits praise.



We very much welcome and seek your comments in order to assist us in continually developing and improving our services.



If you are not happy with a service then you have the right to complain and be listened to. We will do all we can to resolve your complaint promptly and effectively.

If you make a complaint, we will:

  • listen to what you have to say
  • respond to you promptly, ensuring you receive a response to the issues you raise
  • provide advice and information about how you can pursue your complaint further should you feel you need to do so. 


Complaint Stages

Informal Resolution

Wherever possible we aim to resolve complaints at the point of service delivery and as quickly as possible.

We encourage customers in the first instance to contact the service they wish to complain about as this provides an opportunity to resolve the matter without making a formal complaint.

Formal Resolution - a 2-Stage Complaints Process

If it is not possible to resolve a customer’s complaint informally, the complaint will be investigated through the council’s formal procedure.

Stage 1

We will acknowledge all formal customer complaints within 5 working days. An appropriate manager will be assigned to investigate the complaint and provide the customer with a response within 20 working days. If the complaint is complex and more time is required to investigate we will keep the customer informed.

Stage 2

If the customer is dissatisfied with the Stage 1 response, they may ask for the complaint to be reconsidered. In order to request a Stage 2 review of your complaint you must be able to show:

  • There has been a factual error based on the decision made
  • There has been an oversight on a significant piece of evidence
  • New evidence has been provided to support the original complaint, which was not included with the original submission.


Social Care Complaints and Compliments

We want to hear from you if you have a Complaint or Compliment about Social Care services.  There are two separate Complaints Procedures for Social Care Services;  Adults Social Care Complaints Procedure and Children Social Care Complaints Procedure. Although the procedures are different, the Complaints team deals with both.

Local Government Ombudsman

You will be expected to have gone through the council's complaint procedure before you make contact with the ombudsman.  The Local Government Ombudsman's contact details can be obtained following this link Contacting the Local Government Ombudsman.

Housing Ombudsman Service this service is set up by law to look at complaints about registered providers of social housing, Dudley Council is one of these. The service is free independent and impartial. Call 0300 111 3000

Visit www.housing-ombudsman.org.uk

Your personal information

Depending on the nature of the complaint, we may need to ask your permission to share the complaint details with other services in order to provide a response. If you are complaining on someone else's behalf, we will normally have to ask their permission.

If you are not sure who to contact, please call Dudley Council Plus on 0300 555 2345