[Skip to content]


Universal Credit - Important Information

The Government has introduced Universal Credit as part of the welfare reforms.

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment that will replace 6 existing benefits for working age people.

It will eventually replace:

Housing Benefit                Jobseekers Allowance (Income Based)

Income Support                Working Tax Credit

Child Tax Credit                Employment and Support Allowance (Income Related)

Universal Credit is administered by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) and not local councils.

Those customers claiming Universal Credit (UC) will have their housing costs paid as part of their UC and will no longer be entitled to claim Housing Benefit.

Between the 5th July 2017 and 13th December 2017 Universal Credit full service will be rolled out in Dudley Metropolitan Borough

Working age customers who would have made a new claim for Housing Benefit will claim Universal Credit instead. This means you will no longer receive payments from the Local Authority; you will receive them from the DWP instead.

As landlords you may be asked by DWP to confirm rent details for your tenants, or provide copies of tenancy agreements to confirm rent paid.

If you are asked to provide this information please do so immediately, otherwise there is a likelihood that the Housing Element of Universal Credit may not be paid.


All Pensions age claimants are excluded from the Universal Credit scheme and will still claim Housing Benefit.

Customers living in Supported Accommodation will continue to claim Housing Benefit. This is accommodation where you receive such support as care, supervision or counselling and advice. Some examples of supported accommodation are hostels, refuges and supported living complexes.

If you are a provider of Supported Exempt Accommodation you may be asked to confirm this, please ensure that you make this clear in any correspondence you have with DWP.

Customers with three or more children making a new claim after 6th April 2017 should still claim the relevant Benefits listed above instead of Universal Credit.

Further information can be found at GOV.UK