Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Food hygiene and the law

Before you start a new catering or other food business, or before starting to use new establishments, you must register all of your establishments with Dudley Council's environmental health service. You must do this at least 28 days before you start trading.

You may also need to have your establishments approved if you supply another business with:

  • meat and meat products
  • eggs
  • milk and dairy products
  • fish and fish products


We will also be able to advise you about how the law applies to your business in practice. Your establishments will be inspected by enforcement officers from your local authority to make sure you are complying with the law. You will not usually be given notice of an inspection

When they think it is necessary, inspectors can take enforcement action to protect the public, including:

  • serving a hygiene improvement notice if you are breaking the law, which sets out certain things you must do to comply
  • serving a hygiene emergency prohibition notice which forbids the use of establishments or equipment
  • recommending a prosecution, in serious cases


Food hygiene regulations set out the basic hygiene requirements for all aspects of your business and require you to make sure that:

  • your establishments meet hygiene standards
  • staff follow good personal hygiene practice
  • food safety problems are identified and controlled as part of your food safety management procedure
  • staff receive adequate instruction and/or training in food hygiene, and are supervised
  • food is kept at a safe temperature
  • you keep written records of how you manage food safety hazards


You should be aware that food businesses - except farmers - are required to put in place food safety management procedures based on the principles of HACCP (hazard analysis critical control point). In practice, this means that you must have documented procedures in place to manage food safety hazards in your business.

Prosecutions Register

A public register of prosecutions is maintained detailing details of prosecutions and formal cautions issued in the last three years.

Where can I get further information on food safety?

You can get further information on all matters relating to food safety from the Food Standards Agency website

You can also contact us for specific advice at the address below.

Internal links

External links

Contact Details

  • Name Food and Consumer Safety
  • Address People Directorate, 4 Ednam Road, Dudley, West Midlands DY1 1HL
  • Telephone 0300 555 2345