Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Zoo Licence background information

A Zoo licence is needed if wild animals are exhibited to the general public on more than seven days in any 12 consecutive months. There are exemptions for circuses, pet shops and any individual premises where the Secretary of State issues a direction that the Act should not apply. Wild animals are defined as animals not normally domesticated in Great Zoo licensing procedures involve Secretary of State nominated inspectors, and further guidance should be sought from this department. If you are intending to operate a zoo you will first need to notify the Directorate of your intention to apply for a zoo licence using the application form linked to this page below.

Then two months before you make a licence application a notice of intent (form is linked below) should be published in one local and one national newspaper, at the site and sent to the local authority where it will be made available for public inspection. It must state:

  • The location of the zoo
  • The kinds of animals to be kept, in taxonomic category of order
  • The arrangements made for the animals’ accommodation, maintenance and well being
  • The approximate number and categories of staff employed or to be employed at the zoo
  • The approximate number of visitors and motor vehicle accommodation is provided for
  • The approximate number and position of the means of access provided or to be provided to the premises

Then you need to formally apply for a licence.

An application form is available from the Dudley MBC. The application form must be accompanied by the appropriate fee. This fee does not cover veterinary charges which will be charged at a later date.

Contact Details

  • Name Environmental Safety and Health
  • Address People Directorate, 3-5 St James's Road, Dudley, DY1 1HZ
  • Telephone 0300 555 2345