We are asking residents who use taxis for their essential travel to ensure they take precautions to help protect not only themselves but also the driver, who is providing an essential service.
Anyone who has COVID but needs to use a hire vehicle for an emergency reason, should use a Hackney Cab – but they must inform the company when making the booking. There must be prior agreement before travel can commence to allow the driver to make an informed decision.
Here are a few hints and tips you will find useful to help protect yourself from COVID:
- Consider: is your journey necessary as we should only be leaving our homes for essential travel
- Are you certain that you, and everyone in your household, is free from COVID-19? Any doubts, do not travel, self-isolate for 10 days and book a test
- When booking, ask the taxi company about their measures
- Wear a face covering (unless exempt from wearing a covering) - if you do not wear a covering, the driver can justifiably deny travel
- Open a window, weather permitting, to increase ventilation
- Sit in the back of the vehicle, on the left-hand side to ensure social distancing
- Do not share the vehicle unless with someone from household or support bubble (or exemption)
- Use contact less payment, or book and pay online
- Beware of surfaces you touch as the virus could be transferred and avoid touching your face
- Use a tissue if you cough or sneeze
- Wash or sanitise your hands for 20 seconds when you leave the taxi
Be taxi safe, be COVID secure.