- Suspicious messages inviting you for the vaccine, this could be through a text message, email, letter or phone call. They ask for you to confirm your details but then also ask you to confirm your bank details.
Remember - The NHS would never ask for your bank details. The vaccine is free!
- Bogus health officials offering to carry out fake Covid-19 tests or issue Covid-19 vaccines.
- Criminals targeting older people on their doorstep and offering to do their shopping or collect medication. Thieves take the money and do not return.
- Cleaning services that offer to clean homes, drives and doorways to kill bacteria and help prevent the spread of the virus.
- Medical solutions that state they can treat, cure or vaccinate against the virus. These are just a way of getting your money! You should contact your GP for any medical advice.
- Fake hand sanitisers, face masks and Covid-19 testing kits sold online and door-to-door. These products can often be dangerous, unsafe or not fit for purpose and you will often be overcharged for them.
Financial Assistance or Refund scams
- Scammers posing as HMRC stating you are entitled to a tax rebate/refund and then ask for you to share your bank details.
- Companies offering fake holiday refunds for individuals who have been forced to cancel their trips. People seeking refunds should also be wary of fake websites set up to claim holiday refunds.
- Deals for your mortgage or credit cards payments. Offering you payment free periods or interest free periods!
- People unexpectedly being informed that they have qualified to receive a donation/funding- then being informed they need to share their bank details to receive the money.
- Bogus charities fundraising for the NHS or Covid-19 related matters
- Test and Trace scams
- Scammers posing as the NHS Test and Trace Scheme employees telling you to self-isolate, share information and pay for a Covid-19 test.
- Illegal money lenders preying on people’s financial hardship, lending money before charging extortionate interest rates and fees through threats and violence.
- Bogus services-targeting people who have experienced bereavement to exploit them for money.