How to avoid spreading coronavirus to people you live with.
If you are self-isolating because of coronavirus, there are things you can do to reduce the chances of spreading any infection to the people you live with.
- Try to stay away from people you live with
- If you have symptoms, you should stay away from other people you live with as much as possible.
If you can:
- Stay on your own in one room as much as possible and keep the door closed
- Avoid using shared spaces (such as the kitchen) at the same time as other people – eat your meals in your room
- Use a separate bathroom - otherwise, use the bathroom after everyone else and clean it each time you use it, for example, by wiping the surfaces you've touched
How to reduce the spread of infection in your home
- Wash your hands with soap and water often, for at least 20 seconds
- Use hand sanitiser gel if soap and water are not available
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when you cough or sneeze
- Put used tissues in the bin immediately and wash your hands afterwards
- Clean objects and surfaces you touch often (such as door handles, kettles and phones) using your regular cleaning products
- Consider wearing a face covering when in shared spaces
- Keep windows open in the room you're staying in and shared spaces as much as possible
- Do not share towels, including hand towels and tea towels