Dudley Council
Dudley Skyline

COVID Test and Trace Isolation Payment

If you have been told by the NHS to self-isolate, either because you have tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) or you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive, you may be entitled to some financial support during your self-isolation period. Please be aware, we are dealing with an unprecedented demand for this service. We will deal with your application as soon as possible. We are currently working with a 14 day backlog, please do not contact us about your claim until 14 days have gone by.

What are self-isolation payments?

You can receive a payment of either £500 or £250 if you have to self-isolate, and meet the eligibility criteria. 

Who is eligible?

If you live in the borough of Dudley and who have received notification from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate on or after September 28, you will be entitled to a self-isolation payment providing you :

  • Have been told to stay at home and self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or NHS COVID-19 app, either because you have tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive.
  • Have responded to messages received from NHS Test and Trace and have provided any legally required information
  • Are employed or self-employed
  • Are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result of self-isolating  (NB this does not include national lockdown)
  • Are currently receiving or are the partner of someone in the same household who is receiving, at least one of the following benefits: 
    • Universal Credit
    • Working Tax Credit
    • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
    • Housing Benefit
    • Income Support
    • Income based Job Seeker’s Allowance
    • Pension Credit

If you are not in receipt of one of the above benefits, you could be eligible for a £500 discretionary payment if ALL the following apply:-

      • You meet all the other criteria listed above
      • You are on a low income
      • You will face financial hardship as a result of self-isolating

Where the criteria above are not satisfied you may be eligible for a £250 discretionary payment through the Dudley MBC Test & Trace discretionary payment.

To be eligible for this payment, you must: 

  • Have been told to stay at home and self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace on or after 1/2/2021 either because you have tested positive for coronavirus, or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive;
  • Be employed or self-employed
  • Be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result
  • Be on an income of less than £30,000 per year for a single person
  • Do not have capital savings that exceed £6000.
  • Will agree to strictly follow the law and self-isolate for the necessary length of time.
  • Agree to fully co-operate with contact tracing calls.

Who is not eligible?

You will not be eligible for the scheme if you:

  • Continue to receive full wages while you self-isolate.
  • Can work from home during a period of self-isolation.
  • Have been furloughed by your employer
  • Are no longer required to self-isolate i.e. your period of self-isolation ended before the Self-Isolation Payment Scheme launched (28 September 2020)
  • Have not received a notification from NHS Test and Trace telling you to self-isolate.
  • If you were told to isolate prior to September 28, 2020
  • Are unable to work due to national lockdown restrictions

Can I help someone else make an application, or make an application on their behalf?

You can help someone else fill out an application, or fill out an application on their behalf. However, you cannot receive payments on behalf of someone else; payments will only be made to the person who has been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace.

What am I required to do?

If you receive a self-isolation payment you must self-isolate as requested by NHS Test and Trace.
Please visit the NHS website for more details of the NHS Test and Trace self-isolation requirements for those


You may face prosecution if you have manipulated or falsified your position in order to obtain these payments, including failure to self-isolate which puts others at risk. Any payment made as a result of fraud may be subject to claw back, as may any grants paid in error.

The Government is supporting Local Councils to make the necessary checks to ensure payments can be verified and have been made correctly.

Data Sharing

The information you submit here will be processed by Dudley Council. We need your consent so that we can access your records in the NHS Test and Trace system to confirm that you are eligible for the Self-Isolation Payment Scheme.
You can find more information on this via the NHS Test and Trace Privacy Notice

We will carry out checks with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), for verification purposes, Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC), for tax and national insurance purposes, and with your employer.

We will provide information to HMRC about any payments we make because Self-Isolation Payments are subject to Tax. If you are self-employed, you will need to declare the payment on your self-assessment tax return.

To validate your bank account details, we need to share relevant information you've given us with TransUnion. This will be used to ensure your support payment is paid to the correct bank account and to help prevent fraudulent use of support payments. This is not a credit check and won't impact your credit rating. For more information on how TransUnion may use your data, please visit TransUnion Legal Information.

We never sell your data to third parties or use it for marketing purposes without your consent. All information is processed in accordance with the Council’s data protection policy.

If you wish to request any changes to the way your data is used for the purposes of processing this application, including the withdrawal of consent , you can exercise your rights under GDPR in writing to the Council’s Data protection officer.

If you do withdraw your consent, we will not be able to continue payments to you. Your consent is necessary to establish your eligibility and to authorise any payments made.

In submitting an application you must confirm that you have read, understood and consented to your data being processed in this way for the purposes of assessing your eligibility for a Self-Isolation Payment.

To apply for help

If you wish to apply for help , please ensure you have read the “who is eligible” section above, and if you satisfy the criteria please complete the following application form.

You will need the following information to make an application.

  • An NHS Test and Trace Account ID, sometimes referred to as a CTAS number.  If you test positive for coronavirus, or are told to isolate by contact tracers, you will be provided with an NHS Test and Trace Account ID (an 8 digit reference number)
  • Details of the relevant qualifying benefit you are in receipt of (NB not required for discretionary applications)
  • Confirmation that you are employed or self-employed, evidence of self-assessment returns, trading income, and will suffer from a loss of earnings due to isolating
  • You will need to supply a bank statement showing clearly your name and address.
  • you must also self isolate for the period notified to you by Test and Trace.