Dudley Council
Dudley Skyline

COVID Test and Trace Isolation Payment

If you have been told by the NHS to self-isolate, either because you have tested positive for coronavirus (COVID-19) or you have been in contact with someone who has tested positive, you may be entitled to some financial support during your self-isolation period.

We are currently experiencing high volumes of applications, please do not contact us until 5 working days have elapsed.

What are self-isolation payments?

You can receive a payment of either £500 or £250 if you have tested positive or are the parent or guardian of a child that is required to isolate , and meet the eligibility criteria. 

Who is eligible?

If you live in the borough of Dudley and have received notification from NHS Test and Trace to self-isolate, you will be entitled to a self-isolation payment providing you :

  • Have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or the NHS COVID-19 app because they have tested positive for COVID-19


  • Have responded to messages received from NHS Test and Trace and have provided any legally required information. Please check that the details you have submitted to them are correct. Please also check that they have recorded correctly your name, date of birth and address.
  • Are employed or self-employed.
  • Are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result of self-isolating  (NB this does not include national lockdown).
  • Are currently receiving or are the partner of someone in the same household who is receiving, at least one of the following benefits:
  • Universal Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income based Job Seeker’s Allowance
  • Pension Credit

If you are not in receipt of one of the above benefits, you could be eligible for a £500 discretionary payment if ALL the following apply:-

  • You meet all the other criteria listed above.
  • You are on a low income.
  • You will face financial hardship as a result of self-isolating.

A parent or guardian of a young person who is required to self-isolate may be eligible for a ‘main’ payment if they live in England and meet the following criteria (even if they are fully vaccinated.

To qualify for a payment, you will need to satisfy all other eligibility criteria, listed above for the main scheme or the discretionary scheme, in addition to the criteria below:-

  • You are the parent or guardian of a child or young person who has tested positive for Covid -19 and they live in the same household as you, and you need to take time off work to care for them while they self-isolate. This is limited to one parent or guardian per household for the child or young person’s self isolation period.
  • You cannot work from home while undertaking caring responsibilities and will lose income as a result.

Your child or young person:-

  • Is aged 15 or under (or 25 or under with an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHC)) and normally attends an education or childcare setting.
  • Has been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace or by their education or childcare setting because they have been identified as a close contact of someone who has tested positive for COVID-19.

Where the criteria above are not satisfied you may be eligible for a £250 discretionary payment through the Dudley MBC Test & Trace discretionary payment.

To be eligible for this payment, you must: 

  • Have been told to stay at home and self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace either because you have tested positive for coronavirus, or you are the parent or guardian of a child that has tested positive.
  • Be employed or self-employed.
  • Be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result.
  • Be on an income of less than £30,000 per year for a single person.
  • Do not have capital savings that exceed £6000.
  • Will agree to strictly follow the law and self-isolate for the necessary length of time.
  • Agree to fully co-operate with contact tracing calls.

Who is not eligible?

You will not be eligible for the scheme if you:

  • Have been double vaccinated and have not tested positive. ( unless you are the parent or guardian of a child who has to isolate.)
  • Continue to receive full wages while you self-isolate.
  • Can work from home during a period of self-isolation.
  • Have been furloughed by your employer.
  • Have not received a notification from NHS Test and Trace telling you to self-isolate.
  • Are unable to work due to national lockdown restrictions.
  • Were unable to work, due to caring responsibilities for a child who has been asked to isolate, prior to 8th March.  The child or young person must have been told to self-isolate on or after 8 March 2021. Applications can be backdated to this point and the parent or guardian will be eligible for the payment if they meet all the other eligibility criteria (for the main scheme or the discretionary scheme).

Can I help someone else make an application, or make an application on their behalf?

You can help someone else fill out an application, or fill out an application on their behalf. However, you cannot receive payments on behalf of someone else; payments will only be made to the person who has been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace.

What am I required to do?

To receive a self-isolation payment you must self-isolate as requested by NHS Test and Trace, or by and educational care setting.
Please visit the NHS website for more details of the NHS Test and Trace self-isolation requirements for more information.


You may face prosecution if you have manipulated or falsified your position in order to obtain these payments, including failure to self-isolate which puts others at risk. Any payment made as a result of fraud may be subject to claw back, as may any grants paid in error.

The Government is supporting Local Councils to make the necessary checks to ensure payments can be verified and have been made correctly.

Data Sharing

The information you submit here will be processed by Dudley Council. We need your consent so that we can access your records in the NHS Test and Trace system to confirm that you are eligible for the Self-Isolation Payment Scheme.
You can find more information on this via the NHS Test and Trace Privacy Notice

We will carry out checks with the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), for verification purposes, Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC), for tax and national insurance purposes, and with your employer.

We will provide information to HMRC about any payments we make because Self-Isolation Payments are subject to Tax. If you are self-employed, you will need to declare the payment on your self-assessment tax return.

To validate your bank account details, we need to share relevant information you've given us with TransUnion. This will be used to ensure your support payment is paid to the correct bank account and to help prevent fraudulent use of support payments. This is not a credit check and won't impact your credit rating. For more information on how TransUnion may use your data, please visit TransUnion Legal Information.

For claims in relation to a child where parents and guardians are not legally required to self-isolate, but who need to take time off work to look after a child or young person who is self-isolating, information will be checked and verified with the child’s education or care setting.

We never sell your data to third parties or use it for marketing purposes without your consent. All information is processed in accordance with the Council’s data protection policy.

If you wish to request any changes to the way your data is used for the purposes of processing this application, including the withdrawal of consent , you can exercise your rights under GDPR in writing to the Council’s Data protection officer.

If you do withdraw your consent, we will not be able to continue payments to you. Your consent is necessary to establish your eligibility and to authorise any payments made.

In submitting an application you must confirm that you have read, understood and consented to your data being processed in this way for the purposes of assessing your eligibility for a Self-Isolation Payment.

To apply for help

If you wish to apply for help , please ensure you have read the “who is eligible” section above, and if you satisfy the criteria please complete the following application form.

You will need the following information to make an application.

  • An NHS Test and Trace Account ID, sometimes referred to as a CTAS number.  If you test positive for coronavirus, or are told to isolate by contact tracers, you will be provided with an NHS Test and Trace Account ID (an 8 digit reference number).
  • Details of the relevant qualifying benefit you are in receipt of (NB not required for discretionary applications).
  • Confirmation that you are employed or self-employed, evidence of self-assessment returns, trading income, and will suffer from a loss of earnings due to isolating.
  • You must supply a bank statement showing clearly your name and the address you are living at.
  • you must also self isolate for the period notified to you by Test and Trace.
  • For parents or guardians of a child, who need to take time off work to care for a child who is self-isolating, you will need to provide evidence, which we will verify, from the education or care setting.