Skip to main content
Dudley Council
Dudley Skyline

Registering with a doctor (GP) and Mental Health assistance

Registering with a GP

When you arrive in the UK you should register with a Doctor or GP (General Practitioner) at a GP Surgery as soon as possible. Your GP will help you to access any medical or health treatment, including referring you to specialists. If you have come to the UK under the Homes for Ukraine scheme your Sponsor should help you to do this.

You can register at any GP Surgery you choose, and it will normally make sense to register with your closest surgery. You do not need proof of address or ID to do this. There is more information available on the NHS website including what to do if you are having difficulty registering.

You will not have to pay for any medical care you receive, although you may have to pay for prescriptions (no more than £9.35 per item). There is more information about how the NHS works in the in national government’s welcome pack which can be accessed below.

For non-emergency healthcare, including advice on how to access medication, you can also dial 111, the NHS helpline. If you do not speak English, you can request an interpreter by dialling 1 after the recorded message.

For life-threatening emergencies dial 999.

Mental Health

If you or someone you know needs help in a mental health crisis, you can contact Black Country Mental Health charity call 01384 442938.

Visit Black Country Mental Health website for more information.

If there is an immediate danger to life, please dial 999 or go to your nearest Accident and Emergency (A&E) Department.

The Government of Ukraine has launched a specialist service for Ukrainians fleeing the war who are suffering with mental health issues. You can access free psychological assistance through the Tell Me website.

There are also several organisations in the UK who can help:

  • Lifeline: 0808 808 8000
  • Samaritans: Call 116 123 for listening support 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
  • Cruse Bereavement Counselling: 0808 808 1677 
  • ChildLine, for children and young adults: 0800 1111

How to report information about possible war crimes in Ukraine

The Metropolitan Police is supporting the International Criminal Court (ICC) investigation regarding possible war crimes, genocide and crimes against humanity in Ukraine.

When you feel ready to, please consider contacting the War Crimes Team to report your experiences, share information and help bring criminals to justice. More information is in this War Crimes Team leaflet.