Skip to main content
Dudley Council
Dudley Skyline

Continuing financial help for people self-isolating

Posted on:

People who are self-isolating could be eligible for up to £500 if they are unable to work.

Dudley Council is administering the Test and Trace Support Payments locally to people who are on low incomes who cannot work as a result of self-isolating. So far the authority has made payments to nearly 1200 people.

Individuals should self-isolate if someone tests positive or is identified as a contact in the NHS Test and Trace system.

To minimise the impact, the government is keen to offer the one-off lump sum of £500 for those on low incomes to support them if they cannot work during their self-isolation period.

The Test and Trace Support Payment has been introduced in response to feedback from local authorities and directors of public health that some residents were struggling to self-isolate as directed due to financial constraints. It will help people on low incomes self-isolate when they test positive or are identified as a contact, and to encourage more people to get tested. They can make an application for every period of isolation.

People can apply for the grant via the council’s website.

Councillor Steve Clark, cabinet member for finance and legal, said:

Isolation is one of the most important elements in fighting the virus and we have to do all we can to support people to do that.
This money will help support those people who are finding it extremely difficult to self-isolate because of the financial impact it can have on them.
We all have our part to play in fighting the virus, and self-isolating when required plays a really important role in stopping the spread.

To be eligible for the Test and Trace Support Payment, people must have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace either because they’ve tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive. They must also be employed or self-employed and be unable to work from home and will lose income as a result.

Finally, to be eligible people need to be employed or self-employed and currently receiving Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit or Pension Credit.

The payment is expected to until the end of June 2021.

To apply for funding or for all of the latest on coronavirus visit

About the Author

Press Office


You are free to share, modify, and use images from the news release pages on for any purpose and without any restrictions under Public Domain Dedication - see our Copyright Statement.