Council issues guidance on staying safe when shopping
Dudley Council is working with retailers to help people stay safer when visiting town centres during the coronavirus outbreak.
Many shops in Dudley borough’s town centres are still open for shopping for food, medicine and other essential items only and people are being asked to shop responsibly.
Posters are being placed up in town centres and in shopping centres across the borough, asking people to observe social distancing guidelines.
- Only visit town centres when shopping for essentials
- Do not meet or socialise with others
- Do not visit if suffering with coronavirus symptoms
- Do not visit with others from the household unless one is a carer
- Use contactless payment whenever possible
- Be respectful of shop staff and other shoppers
- observe guidance within shops - #bekind
- Stay at least 2 metres from others
- Only take children if absolutely necessary and ensure they keep safe and close at all times
- Do not touch items unnecessarily
- Go straight home after shopping
- Wash hands thoroughly once home
Councillor Ian Kettle, cabinet member for regeneration and enterprise, said:
We are working with retailers to remind shoppers of the need to adhere to social distancing to keep themselves and retail workers safe during the virus outbreak.
I would to thank our residents for continuing to follow government guidance, together as a community we are helping to save lives and protect our NHS, and I would remind everyone to carry on with their great work.
Anyone can catch it and anyone can spread it, so please act like you have it and help to reduce the spread of this deadly virus.
Eve O’Connor, manager at Halesowen Cornbow, said:
We are pleased that Dudley Council is providing new materials for us to display in our centre and shops to help keep staff and shoppers safer.
We would remind everyone who visits our shopping centre to keep a safe distance from others, follow all the government guidance carefully and at this difficult time for our community, if you can be anything #BeKind.
For all the latest information on Dudley Council’s response to the coronavirus crisis including support and affected services visit www.dudley.gov.uk/coronavirus