Proceed with caution as restrictions ease
As restrictions ease across the country today (May 17) and some council venues reopen Dudley residents are asked to remain vigilant as they enjoy access to more services.
Last week the Prime Minister gave the go ahead for the country to proceed to stage three in the government’s roadmap to easing restrictions.
As Dudley borough has seen a small rise in the number of cases in the last week people are urged to proceed with caution, always remember hands, face, space, get tested regularly and have the vaccine when it is offered.
In Dudley, the easing of restrictions means the Red House Glass Cone can welcome visitors back into the exhibition spaces and the coffee house.
The borough’s leisure centres are able to increase the facilities and services on offer including fitness classes at Crystal and Dudley leisure centres. Aquafit will return to Halesowen Leisure Centre and the soft play suite and badminton facilities are open at Crystal Leisure Centre. Family splash swimming sessions will return at Dudley leisure centre this weekend.
The borough’s libraries will be open from Monday to Saturday from 10am to 4pm (Netherton Library is closed on Saturdays).
Stage three also means up to groups of 30 people are able to meet outdoors and up to six people or two households can meet indoors.
Pubs, restaurants and cafes can now host people inside but the rule of six or two households apply.
People in care homes can have up to five visitors and are allowed to leave the premises without needing to quarantine when they return.
Weddings, receptions and wakes with up to 30 people can take place and funeral services with up to 30 mourners inside and 40 outside can be held at Gornal and Stourbridge Crematoriums. For burials 70 mourners will be able to attend.
People should continue to work from home to reduce travel and contact with others.
Councillor Patrick Harley, leader of Dudley Council, said:
Although many will welcome the easing of restrictions today, I must ask people to proceed with caution over the next few weeks.
I, more than anyone, want to see our businesses and communities thrive as we recover from the pandemic but we’ve already seen case numbers rise in parts of the borough and we know a strain of the Indian variant has been identified in a small number of cases so we must all continue to pull together to keep this virus in check.
Councillor Nicolas Barlow, cabinet member elect for health and adult social care, said:
I would like to thank every resident for playing their part and following advice over the last few months. As we enter this next phase, it’s really important we don’t undo all our hard work so I would urge residents to continue to follow hand, face and space guidance, comply with test and trace requirements and continue to have twice weekly symptom free tests.
For a full list of council services affected and all the latest guidance on coronavirus including testing go to www.dudley.gov.uk/coronavirus