Skip to main content
Dudley Council
Dudley Skyline

Support for businesses with temporary pavement licence

Posted on:

Council bosses are urging businesses to apply for a temporary licence to extend their outdoor space by placing furniture on the pavement, after just seven came forward.

Dudley Council is offering temporary licences for cafes, bars and restaurants to place furniture for customers on the pavement outside their premises.

It is part of measures to offer people an “outdoor option” during the pandemic.

But businesses must demonstrate that pedestrians, especially those with mobility or disability issues, can still walk along the pavement.

The move was launched in July last year when a handful of businesses were granted a temporary licence until September 30 next year in locations where access could be maintained for all pedestrians.

Now council bosses are asking other businesses to come forward and apply for a licence to be able to place counters, tables, seating and other furniture items on the pavement during their operating hours, but not later than 11pm.

Councillor Karen Shakespeare, cabinet member responsible for licensing, said:

We want to do everything we can to help cafes, bars and restaurants make themselves as accessible as they can. Although many restrictions are lifted, people still may feel more comfortable eating and drinking outside, so providing that outdoor option is essential.
We had a very small number of people apply last time and I urge businesses to have a look at how we can help.

The temporary licence is just one of the ways the council has been helping businesses through the pandemic. People can apply online and conditions and a fee of £100 applies.

For more information on the pavement scheme and how to apply visit our dedicated web pages 


You are free to share, modify, and use images from the news release pages on for any purpose and without any restrictions under Public Domain Dedication - see our Copyright Statement.