Skip to main content
Dudley Council
Dudley Skyline

Temporary licence to support hospitality industry

Posted on:

Cafes, bars and restaurants can now apply for a temporary licence to place furniture on the highway to extend their outdoor space.

In a move to support businesses within the sector, Dudley Council is introducing a temporary pavement licence, which allows cafes, bars and restaurants to safely extend their outdoor offer provided the measures will permit pedestrians and other less able members of the community to pass whilst adhering to the government’s social distancing guidelines.

Businesses which are granted a licence will be able to place counters, tables, seating and other items associated with the consumption of food and drink on the pavement during their operating hours but not later than 11pm.

Conditions and a fee of £100 applies.

Councillor Karen Shakespeare, cabinet member responsible for licensing, said:

Our hospitality sector has been hit hard during this pandemic with many, even though they are now open, still struggling to operate due to the limited number of people allowed on the premises.
This new temporary licence will allow some businesses to extend their outdoor space, hopefully allowing them to accommodate more customers and boost their trade while crucially continuing to follow the latest social distancing guidelines.
This is another way we are supporting businesses within this sector as they begin their road to recovery.

About the Author

Press Office


You are free to share, modify, and use images from the news release pages on for any purpose and without any restrictions under Public Domain Dedication - see our Copyright Statement.