Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

The Hearing Impairment Service

We are a team of qualified Teachers of the Deaf, Specialist Teaching Assistants and a Deaf Support Worker who support children with hearing difficulties across Dudley.

What do we do?

  • Work in partnership with families offering support and information regarding hearing difficulties.
  • Provide information, advice and training to college, school and nursery staff.
  • Provide specialist teaching and support to children with a hearing impairment.
  • Assess functional hearing.
  • Support and advise on the use of specialist equipment e.g. hearing aids, cochlear implants and FM radio systems.
  • Develop listening and language skills.
  • Give advice on the modification of teaching materials and access arrangements for examinations.
  • Contribute to individual communication programmes
  • Liaise with other professionals in Social Care, Audiologists at the Hearing Centre, ENT Consultants, Speech and Language Therapists and Educational Psychologists and Voluntary organisations.

Who is it for?

Babies, children and students 0-16 years (or to 19 by arrangement) with a diagnosed hearing impairment, their families and carers who live in Dudley or attend Dudley schools.

Where can we see your child?

At Home, Nursery or Early Years Setting, Playgroup, School, at College (by arrangement).

Can I make a referral?

Referrals can be made my parents/carers, school staff, nursery/early years settings, speech and language therapists, ENT consultants, school health advisors and hearing centres. 

What to do if you think your child may have a problem

For preschool children - contact The Hearing Centre 01384 321266 and ask for a hearing test appointment.

For school age children - ask the school to make an appointment for a hearing test with your school health advisor. 

Find out more about Community Audiology Services.

Useful documents