Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Settlement Checking Service

What is the settlement checking service?

The settlement checking service is a partnership between the UK Visas and Immigration of the Home Office and Dudley MBC. Please note Dudley Council will no longer be providing this service after 7 September 2018.

The service provides you with the opportunity to have your documents and application form checked when applying for settlement in the UK on form SET(M).

Our staff are trained and registered to check and forward your application to UK Visas and Immigration . They will photocopy and certify your valuable documents so they remain in your safe keeping. Any passports or travel documents will be securely despatched with your application to the UK Visas and Immigration by secure mail.

The settlement checking service will help you get your application correct first time and avoid unnecessary delays.

Who can use the settlement checking service?

You can only use the settlement checking service if you are applying on form SET(M) for settlement in the UK as the husband, wife, civil partner or unmarried/same-sex partner of a British citizen or someone who is settled here.

When should I book my appointment?

You should contact Dudley MBC in sufficient time to book an appointment in order to submit your application 28 days before your existing leave expires.

Why should I use the service?

  • You will receive assurance that your application is completed correctly and that you have provided the correct supporting documents.
  • Your application will arrive at UK Visas and Immigration complete, avoiding any unnecessary delays.
  • Valuable important documents, such as your passport and travel documents, your spouse or partner’s passport, marriage and birth certificates, will remain in your safekeeping.
  • Our settlement checking service advisors are trained by the UK Visas and Immigration and regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC).

How can the local authority help?

During a pre-booked appointment, a trained, local authority officer will:

  • Check the application is complete and that it includes all the required supporting documents.
  • Check that the correct fee has been paid.
  • Inform the applicant of any unacceptable documents or documents over and above UK Visas and Immigration requirements.
  • Make certified copies of the partner or spouse’s passports, travel documents and supporting documents for enclosure with the application (returning originals to the partner or spouse).
  • Make certified copies of the applicant and dependent(s) passport, travel documents and supporting documents for enclosure with the application along with the original documents (the vignette will be inserted into passport(s) to show the appropriate grant of leave).
  • Submit the checked and complete application to UK Visas and Immigration via secure mail.

How do I use the settlement checking service?

The settlement checking service operates on an appointment only basis; you will not be seen without an appointment.

To make your appointment, you should contact us online or telephone 01384 812242

What should I bring to my appointment?

When you telephone to book an appointment, our advisors will provide you with information on what you must bring with you. Information on the documentation required to support a SET(M) application can also be found in the SET(M) application form and guidance notes available on UK Visas and Immigration website.

In summary:

You and your partner must attend the settlement checking service appointment in person. If you have children under 18 years old, they do not have to be present.

You must bring the following documents with you:

  • Completed SET (M) application form.

  • KOL pass notification or ESOL certificate and college letter.

  • All the necessary documents as explained in the application form and guidance notes.

  • Your payment details for the SET (M) application fee (payable to the Home Office).

Will the local authority give me advice about settlement?

Dudley local authority will not be able to provide advice on settlement matters. If you require advice you can contact the Immigration Enquiry Bureau on 0300 123 2241. Lines are open from 09:00 until 16:45 Monday to Thursday and 09:00 until 16:30 Friday (excluding Public holidays).

Will my application be dealt with more quickly?

The settlement checking service is not a priority or premium service, although applications submitted through the service are quicker to process than postal applications. We also offer a checking service for nationality applications and UK Visas and Immigration has found that applications received via our nationality checking service are generally quicker to process as fewer cases are rejected or delayed due to incompleteness or missing documents. It is anticipated that settlement checking service will have similar effects on case processing times for SET(M) applications.

How do I know Dudley is competent to offer the checking service?

Our advisers are registered with the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC), an independent body established by Parliament, which regulates organisations offering services of this kind.

In providing the settlement checking service, our staff have been fully trained by UK Visas and Immigration settlement experts and provided with a set of desk instructions which set out the precise extent of their duties.

If a client requires advice or services which are outside our remit, settlement checking service staff will refer that person to UK Visas and Immigration and record the fact.

Do I have to pay for the checking service?


  • £120 per applicant

  • £80 additional dependants

The fees for the settlement checking service reflect the cost of providing the service and we make no profit from providing this service.

The settlement checking service fee is charged in addition to the SET (M) application fee charged by UK Visas and Immigration.

Do you need to contact us?

Contact Dudley Citizenship & Registration Services online or telephone 01384 815373. Please note our lines are quieter in the afternoons.

Alternatively, You may if you wish write directly to:

Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner, 5th Floor, 21 Bloomsbury Street, London WC1B 3HF