Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

In Dudley, from 15th July 2013, a limit will be put on the total amount of benefit that working age people can get. This is called a benefit cap. You will not be affected if you or your partner have reached State Pension Credit age.

If you’re affected, your Housing Benefit will go down to make sure that the total amount of benefit you get isn’t more than the cap level.

If your total income comes to more than the maximum amount allowed your housing benefit payments will be reduced. The cap will apply to the total amount that the people in your household get from a number of benefits.

The level of the cap will be:

  • £500 a week for couples (with or without children living with them)
  • £500 a week for single parents whose children live with them
  • £350 a week for single adults who don’t have children, or whose children don’t live with them

You won’t be affected by the benefit cap if you qualify for Working Tax Credit, or if you get any of the following benefits:

  • Disability Living Allowance
  • Personal Independence Payment (from April 2013)
  • Attendance Allowance
  • Industrial Injuries Benefits (and equivalent payments as part of a war disablement pension or the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme)
  • Employment and Support Allowance, if you get the support component
  • War Widow’s or War Widower’s Pension

If you’re already getting benefits and could be affected by the cap you’ll be contacted by the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP). They’ll let you know what will happen to your benefits.