Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Help with rent for 18-21 year olds

From 1st April 2017 anyone aged between 18 and 21, (with certain exemptions, see list below) who lives in a Full Digital Service Area for Universal Credit will no longer be entitled to the Housing Element of Universal Credit.

Dudley becomes a Full Digital Service Area on 5th July 2017

Full Digital Service Area’s are those parts of the country where the Department for Work and Pensions are accepting Universal Credit claims from all types of benefit claimant , however there are exemptions which are detailed below.

Anyone aged 18 – 21 who is awarded Universal Credit in a Full Digital Service Area is excluded from receiving help towards their Housing Costs.

If you currently receive Housing Benefit, this will continue until you have a change in your circumstances that means you have to claim Universal Credit.

The exemptions are:-

  1. Claimant households who are responsible for a child,
  2. All claimants who are not in the ‘all work related requirements’ conditionality group,
  3. Claimants who were previously in local authority care,
  4. Claimants in receipt of the care component of disability living allowance at the middle or highest rate or the daily living component of personal independence payment,
  5. Claimants who are subject to active multi-agency management (arrangements for managing risks posed by certain offenders),
  6. Claimants in temporary accommodation provided by a local authority pursuant to their homelessness duties
  7. Claimants whose “expected hours of work” have been reduced due to caring responsibilities or physical or mental impairment
  8. Those for whom work-related requirements cannot be imposed due to the range of time-limited circumstances prescribed in sub-paragraphs (3) and (4) of regulation 99 of the 2013 regulations (ie the recently bereaved, those undertaking treatment for an addiction, etc)
  9. Claimants who are in work
  10. Claimants who are unable to live in the parental home because;
    (a) they are an orphan
    (b) their parents live abroad or
    (c) in the opinion of the Secretary of State, it would not be appropriate for them to live in the parental home.