Advice and Information

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

If you are struggling to get around in your home, we may be able to help make life a little easier. You may be eligible for funding to adapt your home to suit your needs, or we can provide support in making the right decision for alternative housing if your home is no longer suitable for you.

Safe and Suitable Homes

Adapting My Home

If you or a member of your home is having difficulties with everyday tasks such as bathing or getting up stairs, we can help you to get it adapted following an assessment. 

We can offer the following support:

  • Grants to pay for adaptations.
  • Information and advice to help you adapt your home.
  • Reputable, council approved builders and trades people.
  • Rearranging work for you, so no stress, hassle or worry.

Find out more about the process of adaptations or visit our Assisted Living Centre (ALC) to view our aids and adaptations.

Living Well, Feeling Safe

The living well, feeling safe service offers a range of advice and services for older people through a partnership of local organisations including the local authority, Age UK Dudley, West Midlands Police, Victim Support and West Midlands Fire Service.

The range of services includes

  • Door access systems and key safes
  • Home security and personal alarms
  • Crime prevention and victim support
  • Fire safety advice and smoke alarms
  • Home improvement and adaptations
  • Small tasks service

 Note that many of these services can be accessed by younger people with disabilities as well.

Dudley Telecare Service

If you need a little extra help living in your home, there may be specialist equipment available to you that could assist you to continue to live independently. You could also visit our Dudley Telecare Service who represent a range of ‘assistive technology’ products that could support your need.

If you feel that you need help with personal care such as washing and dressing, please contact the access to adult care services.

Keeping Warm in Winter

The Winter Warmth Support Scheme The scheme aims to help keep vulnerable people warm, well and in touch during the winter. Anyone concerned about getting cold themselves, or worried about a friend, relative or neighbour can call and request assistance.

Alternative Housing Options

If you have found that adaptations to your home are not suitable and you need more assistance, we can provide support in finding alternative housing to suit your needs, this could include social or private renting, home ownership, sheltered or supported housing, a housing with care scheme or even a care or residential home.

Residential and Nursing Care Homes

Residential homes and nursing care homes (care homes that provide nursing care) provide live in care to members of the community. They can be operated by the private sector, the not-for-profit sector, the charitable sector and the council (residential homes only).

All care homes must be registered with the Care Quality Commission (CQC).

Shared Lives Foster Care

The Shared Lives Foster Care Scheme provides care and support for adults with additional needs, such as a disability or mental illness, and allows them to live as part of a 'foster' family who offer personalised support and care. This can be a long time arrangement, or to provide respites to carers for a short break or day care.

Extra Care Housing

The Extra Care Housing scheme is offered to those over 55 years of age who want to continue to live independently but may have disabilities, are frail or have health needs that make ordinary housing, residential, or nursing homes unsuitable to live in. This type of housing features a range of services to hand if their condition may worsen and needs some care and support. 

Sheltered Housing

Sheltered housing is a group of self-contained flats or bungalows available to individuals over 55 who want to continue to live independently, but simply want a little extra security, company and the added knowledge that assistance is at hand if it is required.

Community Support Service

Our Community Support Service provides a range of practical help, advice and support to older people in their own homes to help them live happily and independently. We can provide support with good health and hygiene, claiming the correct benefits, help to complete forms/paperwork, and even support when you return from home after a hospital stay.

  • For further information contact our Housing Options team for help deciding the best option for you via Dudley Council Plus, or if you feel you need a residential or nursing home please contact our Access team