Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Choosing and paying for care and support

Anyone can get help from us to assess their social care needs and then plan their social care support. This can be support provided while living in your own home, or social care support provided from a residential or nursing home.

We provide a range of information booklets all about choosing and paying for care, full of useful information. The booklets cover information about choosing the type of care that best meets your needs, the rules that apply to the funding of social care - residential or home based and detailed information for self funders - people who will need or choose to pay for their social care support. Look at our funding criteria for more information and see the information under related documents to the right.

Self funding care and support

Depending on your savings and capital you may not qualify for funding from us to meet your care and support needs while you remain living at home, or alternatively if you need residential care. This may be because you don’t have eligible needs under The Care Act 2014 ‘national eligibility threshold’, or because following a financial assessment it is clear that you have savings or capital above the governments ‘upper capital limit’.

The government sets an annual limit called the 'upper capital limit' - in 2015/16 - £23,250. This is the amount of money that you can have - in savings, investments or any capital. If the value of your assets sits above this limit we are not able to help with care and support costs or with the costs of any residential care home placement. In these cases you are known as a 'self funder'. That means you have to pay for the full cost of your care and support services yourself.

Safe and Settled

We do however offer information, advice and support to help self funders decide which care and support services best meet their needs. We can also help with support planning and arranging care and support services. Our access to adult social care service can help with this. Alternatively we work with a partner organisation called Safe and Settled who offer an independent care and support service for self funders.

Choosing Care

Deciding on care though is not just a matter of paying for it. You need to know what is available. Do take a look at the Community Information Directory for a wide range of support offered across the Borough. Many of the services included in the directory will have links to their CQC rating. You can also get advice from our Access Team. You can also get advice and support from workers throughout the assessment process. Alternatively our partner Safe and Settled can help you with the care options process.

Welfare Rights Service

Our Welfare Benefits Officers provide information and support about welfare benefits and payment of contributions to people who have had a social care assessment.

Find out more about the welfare rights service

Care Quality Commission

The Care Quality Commission's (CQC) inspection reports can form part of your decision-making process. Available from CQC'S website, the inspection reports provide the regulator's judgement on whether a care home is meeting government standards of quality and safety. If a care home is judged to be failing to meet one or more of the government standards, the inspection report will detail why and set out what actions the care home must take to improve. CQC regulates all care homes in England and routinely inspects them annually, although homes can be inspected at any time in response to concerns about poor care.

In addition to care homes, CQC also regulates and inspects agencies that provide care in the home (also known as domiciliary care agencies), hospitals and dentists.

Making sure care homes and hospitals meet government standards

Wherever and whenever you receive care it should meet government standards of quality and safety.

It's the Care Quality Commission's job as regulator to check that those standards are being met across NHS and private health services and in all care homes and home care.

What you should expect when a service is meeting government standards:

  • To be involved and told what's happening at every stage of your care - staff should always respect your privacy and dignity

  • Care, support and treatment that meets your needs - this includes help with eating and drinking if you need it

  • To be protected from the risk of abuse or neglect, given medicines safely and be looked after in a clean and hygienic environment

  • To know how to make a complaint, and if you do, that it is investigated fully by the service

If you have experienced poor care, or know that poor care is being provided somewhere, you can report it anonymously to CQC. The information you provide helps the regulator identify if there's a risk a service is no longer providing care that meets the standards. Where CQC finds a service isn't meeting the standards they will always take action to ensure care improves.

To report poor care to CQC please visit their website - or call 03000 616161.

See related documents to the right for further information.

Choosing and paying for care and support

Contact Details

Access to Adult Social Care

0300 555 0055

External Links