Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Care and support

We provide support and guidance on the types of care that may be available to help you and your child. We are also able to signpost you to organisations and services, both locally and nationally, and advise on how to access them.

Health and Social Care

Find guidance and support to help adults, children and families.


Practical services tailored to help you and your family stay safe and healthy.

Living Independently

Services to help you adapt your home, prepare for the future, and short breaks for adults.

Carer Support

Advice, support and information for anyone caring for a family member.

Dudley Dog Care logoCaring for a child with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) can be challenging. We want to help and support you by providing information, support and advice when you need it.

This service is for children and young people up to 25 years old with SEND.  Our aim is to make sure that you receive social care services that best meet you and your child's needs and that you are fully involved in the process.

For Providers

Role and Responsibilities of Children's Social Care

The SEND Code of Practice states that where a child or young person has been assessed as having social care needs in relation to their SEN or disabilities, social care teams should do the following:

  • Secure social care provision under the Chronically Sick and Disabled Persons Act (CSDPA) 1970 which has been assessed as being necessary to support a child or young person's SEN and which is specified in their EHC plan.
  • Supply early years providers, schools and colleges with a contact for social care advice on children and young people with SEN and disabilities.
  • Undertake reviews of children and young people with EHC plans where there are social care needs.
  • Make sure that for looked after children and care leavers the arrangements for assessing and meeting their needs across education, health and social care are co-ordinated effectively. This must be done within the process of care and pathway planning in order to avoid duplication and delay. All planning should include liaison with the Virtual School Head (VSH) for looked after children.
  • Where children or young people with SEN or disabilities also have a child in need or child protection plan, the child's social worker should ensure the statutory timescales for social care assessments are met and any assessments are aligned with EHC needs assessments wherever possible.

Role and Duties of Adult Social Care

Young people with SEN or disabilities turning 18 may be eligible for adult care services whether or not they have an EHC plan or have been receiving services from children’s social care.

The support acts as a smooth transition from children’s to adult social care services. The SEND Code of Practice states the local authorities must:

  • Promote the integration of adult care, support, and health services.
  • Encourage the provision of resources that can be assessed by those who require support but who do not have eligible needs.
  • Ensure a diverse and high quality range of services to meet assessed care and support needs.

We will ensure effective and well supported transition arrangements are in place, assessment and review processes for both Care plans and EHC plans are aligned, there is effective integration with health services, and universal provision for inclusion.

Care Quality Commission (CQC)

The Care Quality Commission's inspection reports can form part of your decision-making process.  All reports are available on the CQC website and provide the regulator's judgement on whether a care service is meeting government standards of quality and safety. The CQC regulates all care homes, and agencies throughout England that provide care in the home (domiciliary care) including; NHS and private health services in hospitals or dentists.

Wherever and whenever you receive care it should meet government standards of quality and safety. It is the CQC's job as a regulator to check this.

Could you help a child?


For information on Adoption including support, how to apply, open days and events, please visit our regional adoption agency partner adoption@heart. Here to support you throughout your adoption journey.

Fostering In Dudley

Could you foster in Dudley? Help a child reach for the stars and find out more on fostering.