Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Access money advice and support for families of children and young people with SEND, and further information on universal services and welfare reforms.

If you, or your child/young person has had an assessment and needs help or support is via an Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP). You may be eligible for partial or full additional help provided through a personal budget. This is a sum of money that you and your young person can have some control over how it is spent.

You can make a request for a personal budget or direct payment when the:

  • EHC assessment is taking place.
  • EHCP is being reviewed.

Personal budgets

personal budget gives parents and young people choice and control over the support they have. This means they can use their personal budget to arrange support and care tailored to them to meet their specific needs.

Direct payments

How much you want to be involved in managing your budget is up to you.  There are different options to choose from. A direct payment is a payment, paid directly to you, your family or carers, to purchase your own care and support.

More about Direct Payments.

Please note we may be unable to approve your request for a direct payment if arrangements have already been made for services to be provided through a particular provider.


Find information about benefits you may be eligible for and help with childcare costs.

Help paying for childcare

Many parents rely upon childcare to meet the needs of busy family lives but can be overwhelmed by the cost.

There are schemes out there to help you with the costs of accessing childcare.

If you're worried about debt

Getting into debt is nothing to be ashamed about and the sooner you get help, the easier it’ll be to make a plan and begin to manage it.

There are some things you can do now to start managing your debt:

•Work out how much you owe and how much you can afford to pay back every week
•Talk to those who you owe money. Many banks and building societies will work with you to sort out the problems
•Get free, confidential advice. You can go to your local Citizen's Advice who will help you get on the right path
•Visit taking control of debt on the Money Advice Service website

Other national organisations that can provide advice and support are:
•Money Advice Service – phone 0300 500 5000
•National Debtline – phone 0808 808 4000
•StepChange Debt Charity – phone 0800 138 1111