Childcare professionals play a vital role in ensuring that the physical, social and emotional development of children in Dudley is of the highest standard because every child has the right to a safe and healthy lifestyle.
The Dudley Healthy Settings Award recognises the invaluable work early years, school and college settings undertake to promote healthy behaviours and support children and young people to lead a healthy lifestyle both now and in the future.
Achieving the Award demonstrates a commitment to health and wellbeing through a whole setting approach and gives you, your staff and families confidence that you are providing a healthy setting for all your children and young people.
The Award covers five important areas that contribute to health and wellbeing:
• Emotional health and mental wellbeing (and relationships - Early Years)*
• Relationships and sex education – (Schools and Colleges only)
• Food and nutrition
• Physical activity
• Risk taking behaviour and health protection
* Criteria for ‘Emotional health and mental wellbeing’ and ‘Relationships’ have been combined for Early Years settings, as at this age there is considerable cross-over between the criteria in these areas.
For each area, key criteria have been developed. Achieving these will ensure your setting provides an environment that is conducive to positive healthy behaviours. We recognise your setting will already be working towards a wide range of national requirements and/or guidelines in these areas so many of these are reflected in the Award criteria.
There will be three Award levels available:
• Bronze – meet all the criteria in two of the five areas
• Silver – meet all the criteria in three of the five areas
• Gold – meet all the criteria in all of the five areas (four for Early Years settings)
The Dudley Healthy Settings Award is due to be launched in September 2019. For further information please contact Public Health’s Children and Young Peoples Team CYPTeam@dudley.gov.uk