Skip to main content

Energy Bills rebate

More information on the £150 energy bills rebate

Dudley Council
Dudley Skyline

Conservation - Arboriculture and Trees

The Arboricultural Section of Green Care deals with the inspection and care of the Council's tree stock, primarily on highways and parks and open spaces. Although we do carry out work on all council owned land if needed. Currently most of our work is directed towards the removal or pruning of dead, dying or dangerous trees. Our priorities are dictated by the Council's Tree Strategy.

Report a Problem

If you are aware of any trees which may be dead or dying please use our online form.

If you wish to report a tree which you feel is dangerous you should contact our help desk. Please give as good a description of the tree, it's exact location and your contact details to our Call Centre operator. This will allow us to find the tree quickly and to keep you informed of the progress of your report.

Unfortunately we are unable to undertake work on privately owned trees and, in line with the Council's Tree Strategy, we will resist carrying out work on trees which are not immediately posing a risk of injury to the public or property.

Tree Advice

The Council, Green Care and the Tree Preservation Order section in the Planning department, offers limited free advice on tree issues to members of the public. If you wish to carry out works to your trees you should confirm that they are not subject to a tree preservation order. Once you have done this then you may find the following guidance useful.

Tree Preservation Orders

It is essential to establish whether your trees are protected by law e.g. covered by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) or are in a Conservation Area. This can be done by contacting Planning Services or by asking your contractor to provide documentary proof that the tree(s) are not protected. For further information on tree preservation.

How to select an Arboricultural Contractor

An arboricultural contractor, sometimes described as an 'Arboriculturist', 'Arborist' or 'Tree surgeon', will undertake tree work to a specification. However,

  • Contractors may say they are members of a trade association - Check the validity of any such claim. The Arboricultural Association produces a list of approved contractors. Please see for further information.

  • Get at least three written quotes and be aware that the lowest quote may not be the best one. It is also advisable to indicate to the contractor when you would like the work to be carried out. Remember that quotes only remain valid for a specific amount of time. Please let the contractor know your decision be it acceptance or refusal.

  • Avoid contractors who use the words 'Lopping' and 'Topping'.

  • Many reputable contractors cover large areas of the country, but you should generally avoid 'door knockers'.

  • The contractor should be able to provide proof of adequate insurance cover for the type of work being undertaken (usually at least 2 million pounds Public Liability Insurance).

  • Reputable contractors will be happy to answer all of your questions, as they have got nothing to hide.

  • Once you have selected your contractor, ensure that the work to be carried out for the agreed sum is confirmed in writing.

Useful Links

Contact Details

  • Name Green Care
  • Address Directorate of the Urban Environment, Lister Road Depot, Lister Road, Dudley, west Midlands, DY2 8JW
  • Telephone 0300 555 2345