Our high rise blocks have rubbish chutes conveniently installed to make the disposal of rubbish easier for our residents. They are designed to use gravity to feed waste into the collection points at the base of the building.
There have been a number of instances where they have been blocked by the incorrect use, causing inconvenience while the facility cannot be used.
We have also found that some residents are leaving flammable or combustible rubbish on the floor of the chute rooms rather than disposing of it correctly. This is a fire hazard and puts everyone’s safety at risk, so persistent misuse may lead to us taking enforcement action.
Here are a few handy hints and tips about rubbish disposal in our blocks:
- Items for disposal down the chute should be placed within small carrier bags and not large disposal bags
- Large items (or bags) disposed of down the chute may cause a blockage and should be taken to the bin area and not left within the chute room
- Do not use the chute to throw away heavy items, flammable or hazardous materials
- Breakable items should be wrapped in newspaper to make them safe to handle
- Telephone the Dudley Council Plus on 0300 555 2345 to arrange the collection of any bulky (eg furniture) or white (eg fridge) goods - there is a charge for this service
- Use the recycling facilities as much as possible for glass, tins, paper, etc. Do not store items for recycling (e.g. black boxes) in communal areas
- A household waste recycling centre is located off the Birmingham Street (A458) at Stourbridge. Telephone 0300 555 2345 for details of opening hours
If you find that the chute is blocked, please telephone the Repairs Management Centre on 0300 555 8283.