Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

When will I receive my disturbance allowance?

All tenants are entitled to an allowance of £1,200 to cover the cost of reasonable costs of moving, e.g. removals, redirection of mail, carpet fitting, etc. This allowance is paid following your sign up at the new tenancy and will take approximately two weeks for you to receive. We are unable to provide you with the money prior to this date.

When will I receive my Homeloss payment?

You can request your homeloss payment once we have received the keys for your former home. This payment is £5,800. If you owe any debts to Dudley Council e.g. removal costs, rechargeable repairs, rent arrears, housing benefit overpayments, council tax, then this will be deducted from the amount prior to payment.

It will take at least six week after you have returned the keys to us for you to receive this payment. This is due to debt checks being undertaken before we can issue the money.

In exceptional circumstances we may be able to pay some of the homeloss payment earlier to help assist with your move, for example if you are downsizing to a smaller property but your current furniture does not fit.

Call the project team if you think this may be applicable to your circumstances.

Has a rate for disturbance allowance payments been set?

Yes, there is now a set rate of £1,200, which should be used to cover reasonable costs associated with moving home – for example removal costs, redirection of mail, carpet refitting, etc. This payment is in addition to the £5,800 home loss payment which is payable after the move.

When will I receive my home loss payment?

The home loss payment will be paid after the move has been made.

Will I get any compensation?

We are currently looking into packages which will be offered up to tenants living in the blocks in relation to their removal from their properties and re-housing.

You will receive a legal home loss payment of £5,800 (set by Government) per household as long as you have held your tenancy for 12 months at the point of moving. The home loss payment will be reduced if there are any rechargeable repair debts, council tax debts and / or your rental account is in debit. Also you will be entitled to a disturbance allowance.

You should discuss your needs during your individual face to face meeting with your housing officer.

What is a disturbance allowance?

Disturbance allowance is money which is paid to you to cover costs connected with moving home such as removal, disconnection/reconnection of appliances, utilities and other costs.

The payments allocated will be reviewed on a case by case basis.

How will I get my home loss payment?

If you pay your rent by Direct Debit, the payment will be paid into the bank account connected to your tenancy once you have moved.

If you pay by any other payment method, the home loss payment will be made by cheque.

If you have any outstanding debt (housing arrears, council tax, housing benefits over payments, sundry housing debts or former tenants arrears) this will be deducted prior to payment.

If you do not have a bank account – you can nominate a bank account for the payment to go into but we would recommend you set up a basic account. There are many basic bank accounts available will incur no charges and provide you with basic services.

I’ve got a payment plan for my rent arrears should I keep paying?

Yes, you must keep paying your agreed amount up until the point you move. None payment could affect your property allocation.

Do I need to keep paying my rent/council tax?

Yes, because if you are not paying you will not be able to be in band 1. If you have any problems with rent payments, you should contact our Income Team for advice.

Do you have to move to a council property to receive the homeloss payment?

No, you can move anywhere and you will still receive the payment.

I’m worried about having such a large amount of money in one go. Do I have to?

Don’t worry - we can arrange for your payment to be paid in smaller amounts over an agreed length of time. That way is it easier for you to manage.