Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Download the Your home and estate PDF or see the web version below.

Your home and estate

We want your home to be somewhere you are proud to live. We want you to be part of a good community.

Our housing officers, estate assistants, concierge and repair teams all work to help make your home and estate clean, tidy, well maintained and free from nuisance and anti-social behaviour.

We cannot achieve these things without your help and we ask you treat your property and neighbours with respect, keep to your tenancy conditions, and ask for help if you have any problems.

Your tenancy

You have a dedicated housing manager who is responsible for providing you with any help or assistance you need during your tenancy. If you have any problems or need any help which we could not resolve at your initial point of contact with us, we will arrange for your housing manager to contact you. To contact your housing manager call 0300 555 2345.

:: more on your tenancy

Your estate

Your housing manager carries out regular inspections of your estate and will ensure any problems identified are resolved as quickly as possible. On some estates the housing manager is supported in this work by an estate assistant who will also carry out important jobs like removing litter, emptying communal bins, removing graffiti and undertaking fire safety inspections in the communal areas of flats.

You may be invited to join your housing manager on an estate walkabout. This is your opportunity to point out any problems on the estate affecting your enjoyment of where you live. Your housing manager will work with other council services and partner agencies to find solutions to these problems.

Your housing manager is invited each year to make bids for money to carry out work to improve the environment of your estate, or the safety of your community. If you have suggestions about things which should be done you should contact your housing manager to discuss - 0300 555 2345.

Things you need to know

  • What are my tenancy conditions

  • What will you do if I have problems with my neighbours or anti-social behaviour on my estate?

  • Can you help me if I am the victim of a hate crime or incident?

  • Can I keep pets?

    You may keep pets appropriate for the type of property you live in, providing you are able to keep them under control so they do not create a nuisance to other residents or pose a risk to anyone visiting your property.

    For further information please speak to your housing manager - 0300 555 2345.

  • Can I make alterations to my home?

  • Do I have to have a home check?

    This visit is an opportunity for you to discuss any problems you have and is not something you should be worried about. We will arrange the visit at a time which is convenient to you but it is important you allow us to carry out this visit. We need to ensure your tenancy details are up-to-date and that our properties are being looked after. Home checks may be carried out for a number of different reasons, either at your request or because we have a need to see you, or your property. Your housing manager will always explain the purpose of their visit.

  • Why do I have a gas service every year?

  • What should I do about rubbish collection?

  • What are my responsibilities for my garden?

    The condition and appearance of your garden has a direct impact upon your estate and the lives of your neighbours. You must keep all garden areas tidy, ensure they do not become overgrown and are free from rubbish, non garden furniture and household appliances. If we have to carry out work to tidy up your garden you may be charged for the cost.

  • What should I do if I think I may have Japanese Knotweed in my garden?

  • Can I run a business from my home?

  • Can I have a satellite television installed?

    In most cases, if you live in a house or a bungalow, the answer is yes, however, before you have satellite television installed you need to get written permission from your housing manager as this is treated as a ‘tenant’s own improvement’.

    You do not need planning permission to install them, but they must be fitted to a high standard.

    If you live in a flat you need to get consent as there is a limit on the size and number of satellite dishes which can be erected. For a building up to 15m in height the limit is two. Please see the ‘living in flats’ section for more information.

    Speak to your housing manager for more details - 0300 555 2345.

  • Can people smoke in my property?

    Yes, you can smoke in your own property.

    Our employees visit many homes where residents are smokers. We understand that you have the right to smoke in your own home, but we ask you kindly not to when a council employee is visiting.

    All of our employees have been instructed not to smoke within your home to help protect your health.

    If you do not refrain from smoking within the room our employees are working, they have the right to leave your property, and any incomplete repair, if you refuse to stop when asked.

    It is against the law to smoke in any communal areas.

    If you are interested in quitting smoking why not visit the NHS website at The site lists free local NHS support services. You can also telephone the free NHS Smoking Helpline on 0800 022 4332.

  • Do I need a TV license?

    You need to be covered by a valid TV licence if you watch or record TV as it is broadcast. This includes the use of devices such as a computer, laptop, mobile phone or DVD/video recorder.

    There are many ways to make a payment, including Direct Debit, TV Licensing Payment Card, online, over the phone and cheque through the post.

    If you would like more information please call 0300 790 6078 or visit

Related Links

External Links