Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Home Contents Insurance for Council Tenants and Leaseholders

We strongly advise all of our tenants to take out Home Contents Insurance; the council provides building insurance for your council property but it is your responsibility to insure the contents of your home.

How to Apply

There are various methods in which you can apply for home content insurance. You can apply online, telephone, or visit us.

How to make a claim

Find details on how to make a claim and what to expect.

Summary of cover

Find details of what is covered under the home content insurance policy.

Terms and conditions

View all terms and conditions for home content insurance.

Some tenants believe that we automatically insure their furniture, belongings and decoration against theft, vandalism, fire and burst pipes. This is not the case. Unfortunately many people only realise this after the damage is done.

We have made it easier for you to insure your belongings under a special home contents insurance scheme arranged by the council with Aviva Insurance Ltd*.

*The council cannot guarantee that its scheme provides the cheapest cover available nor that it provides the widest cover. You are recommended to seek alternative quotations and choose the cover which best suits your needs.

Why do I need insurance? What does it cover?

Why do I need insurance?
Dudley MBC strongly advise all tenants and leaseholders to take out home contents insurance, this will cover the items you have bought for your home if they are lost, stolen or damaged by fire, theft, flooding or accidental damage.*

Do I need to be a council tenant or leaseholder?
Yes, this insurance scheme is only available to council tenants or leaseholders.

What is covered?
From as little as 82 pence per week with a FREE EXCESS, most household goods and contents are insured in your home, this includes furniture, TV, clothing, carpets, electrical goods, lost or stolen keys, freezer contents, items kept in locked sheds. Items purchased through a weekly payment scheme or Hire Purchase are also covered.

What does it cover me against?
Your contents would be covered against the loss of items caused by fire, theft, vandalism and water damage by specific events and occurrences. Full Accidental Damage cover is available for an additional premium.

'New-for-old' insurance
All your home contents are covered by the policy on a 'new for old' basis, with the exception of linen and clothing which will be replaced at their current cost, less an amount for wear and tear.

*Full Accidental Damage cover is available for an additional premium.

How much does it cost? How do I pay?

Please click on the link below to view weekly costs for specific amounts to be insured and costs of optional extra cover items:

Cost of insurance

Optional Additional Cover items are available at an additional cost:

  • Full Accidental Damage: You can increase your home contents insurance cover to include Full Accidental Damage cover for belongings in your home.
  • Personal Belongings Cover: Cover for loss or damage to your belongings in and away from the home worldwide*.
  • Wheelchair and Mobility Scooter Cover: Cover for loss or damage to your wheelchair or mobility scooter in and away from the home worldwide*.
  • Hearing Aid Cover: Cover for loss or damage to your Hearing Aid in and away from the home worldwide*.
  • Pedal Cycle Cover: Cover for loss or damage to your pedal cycle in and away from the home worldwide*.

*Exclusions and Terms and Conditions apply, please contact Tenants Insurance on 01384 815051 for further details.

To calculate the total sum you would like to insure, please click on the Room Calculator - you will need Microsoft Excel. If you don't have Microsoft Excel, you can print of a PDF version of the Room Calculator and enter your values to work out the total.

How to pay
See our range of payment methods available, including Direct Debit. 

Latest Offers

Benefits of home contents cover
Accidents can happen - take control, relax and make payments easier with direct debit for housing. See leaflet below for further information.

New Tenants Offer - first 4 weeks free
Take control and protect your things with tenants contents insurance. See the leaflet below to see how as a new tenant, you can get cover for the first 4 weeks free - please also note the terms and conditions.

Terms and conditions - 4 free weeks offer

Terms and Conditions - £10 voucher offer

Direct Debit Incentive for Housing Insurance Payers