Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

Dudley Council the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Children and young people over the age of 13 can work on a part time basis after school, at weekends or during school holidays.

Children and young people must be registered with us to work and will be issued with a work permit. There are restrictions depending on age including the number of hours they can work and the type of employment they can do.  Our Education Investigation Service works with employers, parents, school and other agencies to ensure that young people who are at work are doing so safely and legally and without detriment to their education.

Employers - How to register

Employers must apply for a work permit.  Any employer who allows a child of school age to work, without obtaining a work permit, is breaking the law and could be prosecuted.

Dudley Council have a Code of Practice scheme across the borough that you will need to sign up for this. You must be signed up and have received your registration number before you can complete and return your child employment work permit registration form.  

You will need to:

  1. Sign up for the code of practice and have obtain your registration number
  2. Download and complete the appropriate Word or PDF version of the application form below. (Please ensure you complete all fields in the form, or your application may be delayed).
  3. Submit your completed application form and attach other relevant documentation using the online submission button below

Employment Legislation

You can find out more about relevant legislation on the links below.  Please note that these are external websites and we are not responsible for their content or the accuracy of information provided on them.

Further Information

Still have a question or query? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions or contact us at Dudley Council Plus.