Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Children and young people can work on a part time basis after school, at weekends or during school holidays. The law states that they must be registered for work with their local authority, who will issue a work permit. However there are restrictions depending on their age, the number of hours they can work and the type of employment they can do.

All part time employment of young people of school age is subject to regulations by the Local Authority and employers will need to apply for a work permit. Any employer who allows a child of school age to work, without obtaining a work permit, is breaking the law and could be prosecuted.

The Education Investigation Service works with employers, parents, school and other agencies to ensure that young people who are at work are doing so safely and legally.

Dudley MBC have now launched a Code of Practice scheme across the borough. For further information see the Code of Practice link below.

The laws governing Children in Entertainment covers children who take part in 'performances', such as TV, film, theatre, modelling and sporting activities. They may require a performance licence and a licensed chaperone.

See related links for further information: