Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

The Hearing Impairment Service

Who are we?

The Hearing Impairment Service is a team of qualified Teachers of the Deaf, Specialist Teaching Assistants and a Deaf Support Worker who support children with hearing difficulties across Dudley.

What is our role?

  • To work in partnership with families offering support and information regarding hearing difficulties.

  • To provide information, advice and training to college, school and nursery staff.

  • To provide specialist teaching and support to children with a hearing impairment.

  • To assess functional hearing.

  • To support and advise on the use of specialist equipment e.g. hearing aids, cochlear implants and FM radio systems.

  • To develop listening and language skills.

  • To give advice on the modification of teaching materials and access arrangements for examinations.

  • To contribute to individual communication programmes

  • To liaise with other professionals in Social Care, Audiologists at the Hearing Centre, ENT Consultants, Speech and Language Therapists and Educational Psychologists and Voluntary organisations.

What age group do we see?

Babies, children, students from birth to 16 years (or to 19 by arrangement,) their families and carers who live in Dudley or attend Dudley schools.

Where do we see your child?

At Home, Nursery or Early Years Setting, Playgroup, School, at College (by arrangement).

Which children should be referred?

Any child with a diagnosed hearing impairment.

Who may refer?

  • Parents/Carers

  • School staff

  • Nursery/Early years setting

  • Speech and Language Therapists

  • Hearing Centre

  • ENT Consultants

  • School Health Advisor

What to do if you think your child may have a problem

  • For pre-school children , contact The Hearing Centre 01384 321266 and ask for a hearing test appointment.

  • For school age children. Ask school to make an appointment for a hearing test with your School Health Advisor.