Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Vehicle Crossing/Dropped Kerbs

A “Vehicle Crossing” is defined as a section of kerb, lowered to provide vehicular access to an individual property. A standard crossing is usually five kerbs, made up of two dropped kerbs and three flat kerbs in the centre. The full depth of the footway from the kerb to the property boundary will be dug up and tarmaced. It is accepted that more than five kerbs may be required and such a quotation would reflect this.

Request a Vehicle Crossing/Dropped Kerb

Following a request for a vehicle crossing we will survey the area. Please note, no work will be undertaken until all relevant authorisations have been obtained and payment received in full.

Please download and complete the appropriate Word or PDF version of the application form first from the options below. Once done, submit your completed application form and other relevant documentation using the online form.

How much will a vehicle crossing cost?

An exact fee is unavailable due to the bespoke nature of the requirements. However information on a typical fee can be found by using the Dropped Kerbs / Crossover Fees link to the right. It is also possible to have an existing crossing extended.

Please note that there will be a non refundable estimate charge, which will be deducted from total costs if the works go ahead

Road Markings for Vehicle Crossings / H Bars

H Bar road markings are shaped like an elongated 'H' which is placed across a vehicular access or driveway. It is used to remind drivers that it is illegal to park in front of dropped kerb driveways.

Road Markings for Vehicle Crossings

Vehicle Crossings for Disabled Residents

The provision of vehicle crossing installed without charge to Blue Badge Holders is no longer available.

How to pay for your vehicle crossing

There are a variety of ways to pay for your vehicle crossing. Please see our Paying for your Vehicle Crossing web page for further information.

Vehicle Crossings on Classified Roads

Any access, or alterations to an existing access, to a Classified Road requires planning permission.

Therefore If the proposed Vehicle Crossing fronts a Classified Road, then Planning Consent will be required before a quotation can be given.

Please see our Planning pages for further information.

Vehicle Crossings on Private Streets

private street is a street that is not maintainable by the Council. The responsibility for vehicle crossings on private streets (including footways and pavements) lies with the street owners. These are usually the people who live on the street.

Vehicle Crossings for Council Owned Properties

Housing Tenants must have a hardstanding before making an application for a vehicular crossing. If there is no hardstanding permission should be gained from Housing Services. The tenant MUST have hardstanding (e.g. flagstones, tarmac). Other conditions may include permission to alter a boundary wall, or an access agreement to cross Council owned land. Such conditions are set out in writing by Housing Services and given to the Tenant. The Tenant will then need to produce these when requested.

The Housing Tenant will need to contact their local Estate Office so that the appropriate consent can be obtained. Please see the following webpage on Council Homes Repairs & Improvements for further information.

Private Contractors

Applicants who wish to undertake to provide vehicular access to an individual property themselves, must contact us as to apply in writing for a Road Opening Licence (otherwise known as a Street Works Licence).

Please note that applicants must obtain Public Liability insurance to the value of £5 million.

To request a vehicle crossing from the Council, please use our online request form.

Fee Information

Useful links