Cycling is environmentally friendly and provides staff with regular exercise thus helping to reduce stress. Storing cycles takes up less space than car parking.
Ideas for employers...
- negotiate with local bike shops for discounts on bicycles and accessories for your staff
- offer low or interest free bicycle loans
- offer a bike promotion scheme for employees who give up their parking space
- provide pool bikes for local site visits or meetings
- install bicycle facilities such as cycle sheds, stands, lockers, showers and provide spare waterproof clothing
- establish a bicycle user group to help "spread the word"
offer staff cycle training
- introduce a bike buddies scheme to pair regular cyclists with the willing but less experienced
- pay a cycle mileage allowance for work related journeys