Recently Viewed

Close Remove All

dudley metropolitan borough council header logo the historic capital of the Black Country
Dudley Skyline

Building or demolition works can cause problems for neighbours of the site. You can reduce or avoid causing any nuisance to the neighbours, or action being taken by the council, if you follow the advice below.

Tell the council and the neighbours

If you intend to demolish a building or part of a building, it is highly probable that you will require various consents from Statutory Bodies i.e Local Authorities, Health & Safety Executive and Statutory Undertakers.

The following relates to the main Local Authority Requirements.

  • You must serve a notice (referred to as a Section 80 Notice) on the Building Control Section before you commence demolition. This should accurately identify the building(s) that you intend to demolish (highlighted on an Ordnance Survey plan if possible) and include any other relevant information i.e. name, address and contact number of owners, demolition contractors and other interested parties. You must also serve notice on the occupiers of any adjacent buildings and all the Statutory Undertakers.

  • The Local Authority have a maximum period of 6 weeks to reply to your Section 80 Notice. In reality we will endeavour to reply within 5 working days. We will issue a counter-notice (referred to as a Section 81 Notice) which will include conditions, relating to the demolition, to which you must comply. You must not commence demolition until you have received the counter-notice.

  • In addition to the above Notice under the Building Act 1984, other legislation may be applicable to your demolition e.g. Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (as amended), Conservation (Natural Habitats &c) Regulations 1994 and the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 (as amended). You are therefore advised to ensure you have all necessary permissions BEFORE demolition occurs."

  • deal promptly with any complaints received on site.

Keep dust, noise and smoke to a minimum


Keep dust down by spraying with water when and where you can.


There is no legal requirement for construction sites to work specific hours. However, working outside the hours of 7.00am and 5.00pm is likely to result in complaints. Working on Sundays and bank holidays could have a similar effect. Its also recommended to start later on a Saturday and work just half a day.

  • Particularly noisy operations (e.g. Pile Driving) may need more stringent controls. Pumps and generators should not be left running overnight if they can be heard outside the site.

  • If you are a householder doing some or all the work yourself, try to avoid causing any noise or dust in the evenings or on Sundays.

  • If noise problems occur, the Council and local residents can take legal action. If you think your work may cause a nuisance to local residents from noise or vibration, apply for "prior consent" from the Council who may allow a certain level of noise to occur.


Burning is not allowed on construction sites unless you have an Exemption Certificate from the Environment Agency, which lets you burn clean wood, paper and card. However, even with this certificate you may still be the Environmental Protection Act, 1990 and the Clean Airs Act, 1993 apply. For more information on these areas, contact the council.

  • Bonfires that release "dark smoke" are illegal and the council have the powers to prosecute any offenders.

  • Advice about bonfires is available from the Local Authority

  • Only burn materials which the Local Authority have given you permission to burn. In most circumstances there will be a no burning policy enforced by the Local Authority. Arrangements should be made to dispose of all waste materials at a licensed waste disposal site before demolition begins.

Demolitions - Enforcement

  • Do not let vehicles or materials block or damage the pavements.

  • Do not leave obstacles, holes or trenches where they are a danger, especially to disabled people (e.g. the blind).

  • The Council may charge you for any damage caused to pavements, kerbs or verges by lorries or heavy plant.

View and Search Online for Applications for Demolitions

You can View and Search for a Planning Application online.

To search for applications relating to demolitions, simply enter "Demolition" in the Proposal/Description filed, together with any other search criteria that you have.

  • Planning Help Desk
    Building Control, Planning and Economic Development, Directorate of Place, 4 Ednam Road, Dudley, West Midlands, DY1 1HL

    Form: Building Control - Request a Site Inspection
    Telephone: 01384 814136
    Out of Hours Telephone: 01384 814136 (24 hours)
    Fax: 01384 814126

    Opening Hours

    Monday to Friday, 8:45 am to 5:00pm, please note that the offices are closed at weekends and Bank Holidays.