Symptom-free, rapid Covid-19 tests (lateral flow) are free and available to collect for home testing or appointments can be booked at locations across Dudley borough.
Rapid Covid-19 (lateral flow) testing is available to anyone without coronavirus symptoms and can help to detect and contain asymptomatic cases.
One in three people don’t have any symptoms, so don’t know they have the virus. By testing twice weekly, residents can help to reduce the spread of the virus and keep friends, families and the wider community safe.
Home testing kits
Home Covid-19 testing kits available to everyone across Dudley borough
The easy to use kits are free of charge and can be collected from multiple venues, including participating pharmacies and other locations across the borough.
Lateral flow testing has already been widely used by people from households where people work or attend an educational setting. The symptom free test is a painless, quick and easy throat and nose swab and results are available in 30 minutes.
How to do a Covid-19 self test
Book a lateral flow test appointment
People can book an appointment for a rapid Covid-19 test at locations across the borough. These tests are assisted by trained staff, and some people might prefer this option:
Parents can have their children tested if they perform the swab on the child.
Walk through video of a symptom-free test centre
If you have any of the symptoms of coronavirus:
- a new, continuous cough
- a high temperature
- a loss or change to your sense of smell
- or if you feel unwell for any other reason
- you must book a standard COVID test at one of the borough’s testing sites.
You must only get a symptom-free test if you feel completely well and have no symptoms at all. If you feel unwell but are not displaying the usual symptoms of coronavirus, you must book a standard COVID test and not a symptom-free test. You can do this by selecting — “My local council or health protection team has asked me (or someone I live with) to get a test, even though I do not have symptoms” — on the standard COVID test booking form.
Quotes from local businesses in Sedgley who received lateral flow testing kits:
- Emporium 13 (2 kits) – ‘Very helpful, puts our minds at rest’.
- Emotions Cards and Gifts Limited (4 kits) – ‘Not tried before, good idea to have’.
- Chris at stall 166 (4 kits) – ‘This is a great idea to promote locally. The ladies were very approachable and informative’.
- The Spud Oven (6 kits) – ‘Caring isn’t always sharing. We think it is great to have kits on site’.
- Splitz (8 kits) – ‘Great to have to keep staff safe. Much appreciated’.
- Belle Fleurs (4 and a further 15 to deliver to Seven Stars pub) – ‘Brilliant service. Should have been organized locally sooner to keep everyone safe. Good to spread the word re free testing as much as you can. Happy to deliver kits to local pub so staff and customers can be kept as safe as possible’.
Lateral flow tests only measure if someone is infectious at that point in time. If anyone has negative test and goes on to develop any symptoms, they must self-isolate immediately and arrange a standard test at one of the borough’s four testing sites.
Anyone who has a positive test must self-isolate immediately and follow the advice given by the local contact tracing team or the national test and trace service. It is vital that people identify contacts to help stop the spread of the virus.
Residents who have had the vaccine should also take twice weekly lateral flow tests. All residents should make sure they upload their results to help further monitor cases in the borough.
People who have had Covid within the last 90 days do not need to use lateral flow tests until 90 days after having the virus, as it could return a positive result. People should however restart the testing process once the 90-day period has elapsed.
Lateral flow tests have been rigorously tested and are safe to use on a regular basis. Any suggestion otherwise is inaccurate and harmful misinformation.