[Skip to content]


Food Complaints

What is a food complaint?

If you have a complaint about any food or drink you have bought, or the standards of hygiene and cleanliness at a food business you have visited, you can make a complaint to the Council’s food safety team.

Depending on the nature of the complaint and the evidence available, food safety officers will normally carry out an investigation into the complaint.

The main aim of any investigation is to make sure that food is safe to eat and there are no contraventions of food safety law.

How can I make a food complaint?

You can either:

Complain about food using our secure online form


Call us using the contact details at the bottom of this page

How long does an investigation take?

The time taken to investigate a complaint will vary, ranging from a few days to many months. Cases that result in an enforcement action, other than a letter or verbal advice, can take over a year to complete.

What are the likely outcomes of your complaint?

If we have sufficient evidence to prove that an offence has been committed, we may consider enforcement action to rectify the concerns. You will be told about the outcome of the investigation and the investigating officer will explain to you the reasons behind the final decision in your case. 

Please be aware that officers of the Council will not pursue any form of compensation on your behalf.

How am I protected if I make a complaint?

Any complaint received by the Council will be dealt with sensitively and we will keep your identity confidential. Sometimes a business may want to apologise to you, in these cases we will only reveal your identity if you give your consent.  

Contact Details

  • Name Food and Trading Standards
  • Address People Directorate, 4 Ednam Road, Dudley, West Midlands DY1 1HL
  • Telephone 0300 555 2345