[Skip to content]


Accidents and Injuries at Work

Why do I need to report accidents and incidents?

It is a legal requirement to report certain accidents and incidents under the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 1995 (RIDDOR). An employer and the self-employed must report certain incidents, accidents, injuries, dangerous occurrences and diseases arising at work. It is an offence not to report a reportable accident. You are strongly advised to report an accident or incident as soon as possible.

What do I need to report?

As an employer, a person who is self-employed, or someone in control of work premises, you have legal duties under RIDDOR that require you to report and record some work-related accidents by the quickest means possible.

You must report:


When do I need to report accidents?

It is advisable to report the incident as soon as possible. Unless the accident is a fatality or major injury, you should report all accidents online, using our form below or using one of the forms on the HSE. In cases of death, major injury, or dangerous occurrences, you must notify the enforcing authority without delay, most easily by calling the Incident Contact Centre on 0845 300 99 23.

Cases of over 7-day injuries must be notified within fifeteen days of the incident occurring.

Cases of disease should be reported as soon as a doctor notifies you that your employee suffers from a reportable work-related disease.

How do I report accidents and incidents?

You can report directly via a dedicated reporting website

How much does it cost?

There is no cost to report accidents or incidents.

What if I know about an accident that hasn't been reported?

You should make a complaint to us as soon as possible. It is very important to ensure that accidents are reported - not only because it is a legal requirement but to ensure that is properly investigated and that any problems do not happen again.

Where can I get more information?

Further information is available from:


Contact Details

  • Name Environmental Safety and Health
  • Address People Directorate, 4 Ednam Road, Dudley, West Midlands DY1 1HL
  • Telephone 0300 555 2345