[Skip to content]


Time for Twos

Free Childcare for Eligible Two Year Olds

Free childcare (Time for Twos) places for two year olds

Did you know that some two year olds maybe able to get up to 15 hours of free childcare? This is known as Time for Twos in Dudley.

You may qualify for a Time for Two place. If you:

  • are in receipt of Income Support

  • are in receipt of Universal Credit

  • are in receipt of Income-related Employment and Support Allowance

  • are in receipt of income-based Job Seekers Allowance

  • receive support under Part VI (6) of the Immigration and Asylum Act (NASS)

  • receive the guaranteed element of State Pension Credit

If you are working and:

  • receive Child Tax Credit (but not Working Tax Credit) and have an annual income of less than £16,190 as assessed by HMRC and,

  • receive Working Tax Credit and have an annual income of less than £16,190

  • receive Working Tax Credit 4-week run on (the payment you get when you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)

  • care for a looked after child

  • have an adopted child

  • have a child that receives Disability Living Allowance (DLA) in their own right

  • have a two-year-old looked after by the Local Authority – if they have left care through special guardianship or through an adoption or Child Arrangement Order

  • have a child who has an Education Health and Care Plan

In addition, Dudley will continue to offer priority to children who;

  • are subject to child protection or child in need plans, if they also meet the mandatory financial criteria above.

The free childcare place runs for three terms until your child moves in to their free early education place the term after their third birthday.

You can apply for a Time for Twos place for your child as soon as they have had their second birthday.

If your child has their second birthday between; You can apply online for a two year old place in;
(you will not be able to proceed with an application until your child has had their second birthday)
Your two year old funding will start in; 
January - March January
(the term in which your child has their second birthday)
April - August April
(the term in which your child has their second birthday)
September - December September
(the term in which your child has their second birthday)


How much free childcare can my child have?

The government have produced a guide which explains how and where your child can take up their funded 2 year old place, information which may help you decide where your child will take up their place and how to make a complaint if you are not offered a choice.

All providers must ensure that they can offer each child a session of at least three hours per day, as a minimum.

Read more about session length.

To find out which childcare providers are able to offer free childcare places please contact the Family Information Service on 01384 814398/9

If you want further information about free two, three and four year old places please contact the Dudley Childcare helpline on 01384 814291.

My Dudley

For local property information, enter your postcode and hit 'Go'

Contact Details

Time for twos team

  • 01384 814291


External Links