[Skip to content]


Registering a Death

The death will have to be registered in the Registration District WHERE THE DEATH ACTUALLY OCCURRED.  The registration should be done within 5 working days.

Important - You will need to make an appointment to register a death, as soon as you have the medical certificate of cause of death from the relevant doctor, please telephone:

Dudley Council Plus on 0300 555 2345

Lines are open from 08:30 – 17:00 on weekdays and 9am – 12 noon on Saturdays.

If the person who is legally required to register the death is unable to attend the relevant Register Office, they can register the death BY DECLARATION at another, more convenient, Register Office.  This means they would give the relevant information to that Registrar who would then post it to the Registrar in the district where the death occurred to be entered into the register.  Persons choosing to do this must understand that the posting of the documents from the registering Registrar may delay the funeral arrangements by a few days. We will also send you form 344 for social security purposes and any death certificates.

If the death occurred within Dudley borough, you can register at either Dudley Council Plus, Dudley Register Office or Stourbridge Registration Office. If you are not sure in which district the death occurred, please telephone for advice.

How do I register a death? 

It is best if a relative of the person who has died registers the death. If there are no relatives, other people can register the death. Those people may include someone present at the death, a senior administrator of the establishment in which the death happened, or the person instructing the funeral director.

You should allow about 30 minutes to register the death. However, in some cases the registration may take longer. The registrar will need the following information.

  • The medical certificate of cause of death (you must bring this document to the appointment)

  • The date and place of death

  • The full name of the person who has died (and maiden name if appropriate).
  • Their place and date of birth.
  • Their occupation.
  • The full names of her husband if she was a married woman or a widow.
  • The usual address of the person who has died.
  • Whether they received a pension from public funds.
  • If they were married, the date of birth of their husband or wife.
  • You should give the National Health Service number of the person who has died, if know, or the medical card itself, if available, to the registrar. (Please do not delay registering the death if you do not have the medical card.)

Language problems?

If English is not your first language, please feel free to bring a friend or relative with you to help. But the death must be registered by a qualified informant, you cannot ask a friend to attend instead of you.

Tell us once

When you make an appointment to register a death you will be informed of our tell us once service. The service means that when you register a death we will tell all government agencies and council departments that need to know, on your behalf, saving you time, stress and effort. 

If you choose to use our tell us once service, you will need to bring a little extra information to your appointment to register the death. You will need to bring along:

  • Details of any benefits or services the deceased was receiving

  • The deceased's driving licence or driving licence number

  • The deceased's passport or passport number and town and country of birth

  • The name, address and telephone number of the next of kin (closest relative by blood or marriage to the deceased), as well as their national insurance number and/or date of birth (this is because their entitlement to benefits may change as a consequence of the death)

  • The national insurance number of the deceased and of any surviving spouse or partner

  • The name and address of the person dealing with the estate (if different)

The verbal permissions of the last three people listed above must be obtained before you provide us with this information about them. 

How do I obtain standard death certificates?

A death certificate is a certified copy of the entry of death in the register and has to be paid for.

You may need these for banks, building societies, solicitors or for pension claims and some insurance claims. You may want to ask for several copies of the standard death certificate at the time of registration as the price increases if you need one at a later date.

Certificates purchased at the time of the registration are £4 each. This fee increases after the event.

What happens when a death is referred to the coroner?

In certain circumstances, legally the death will have to be referred to the coroner by the doctor or registrar. The coroner may do one of three things.

  1. He or she may decide that no action is necessary and let us know.
  2. He or she may decide to hold a post-mortem examination, in which case they will issue a pink form 100 instead of the medical certificate.
  3. He or she may decide to hold an inquest. The Coroner’s Office or we will let you know what to do in these circumstances.

How do I repatriate the deceased's body from abroad?

  1. My relative has died abroad (while staying/living there/on holiday. What do I do to get them buried/cremated here?
  2. I am the funeral director/undertaker who has been asked to take care of the arrangements for a person who has died abroad?

Firstly has the coroner for this district been informed? This is absolutely essential.

If NO - refer them to the coroner as the death must be cleared by him.

If YES - then you can obtain a Certificate of No Liability to Register ONLY from a Registrar for the District where the body is to be buried/cremated, on production of all related paperwork (death certificate etc.)

How do I repatriate the deceased's body abroad?

I wish to register a death, but the body is to be taken abroad for burial/cremation?

You must contact the coroner to give NOTICE and obtain the necessary form 104 (REV) for removing the body from England.

You must register the death at the Register Office for the District where the death occurred in the usual way and inform the Registrar that the Coroner has authorised the removal of the body from England.

How do I remove the body out of England or Wales?

There is no restriction on moving bodies within England and Wales, but you need to notify the coroner for the district in which the body is lying if you want to move the body of the deceased to Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or the Channel Island, or overseas.

How do I arrange a civil funeral?

 A civil funeral ceremony is, above all, a ceremony that reflects the wishes of the family and is focused on celebrating the life of the deceased.  It is both a dignified tribute and a highly personal memoir, created by a professional celebrant in consultation with the family or executor. Experienced celebrants from Dudley register office can help you to arrange a civil funeral.

Where can I get further advice?

When someone close to you dies, there are many decisions and arrangements you will have to make, often at a time of personal
distress. The DWP leaflet what to do after a death gives you help and guidance about what to do when someone dies.

Do you need to contact us?

Contact Dudley Citizenship & Registration Services online or telephone 01384 815373. Please note our lines are quieter in the afternoons.