[Skip to content]


School Crossing Patrol Service

The need to ensure the safety of children, especially on their journeys to and from school is paramount to the Council’s aims of reducing road traffic casualties whilst encouraging active travel. The school crossing patrol service plays a vital role in delivering these aims.

Dudley's service has around 100 patrols, including mobile patrols who provide absence cover.

All sites for School Crossing Patrols are assessed using strict criteria to ensure the provision is justified. The deployment policy can be viewed in the related documents section.

Could you be a school crossing patrol?

We are always looking for suitable people for this worthwhile role - current vacancies can be viewed on the WM Jobs website, along with the full job description and person specification.

We look for reliable and caring people:

  • over 18 years old
  • with good eyesight and hearing
  • who can pass our medical and DBS checks
  • able to work for about half an hour in the morning and half an hour in the afternoon on all school days 

Dudley Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children; therefore this post is subject to medical clearance and an enhanced DBS check.

During July 2015 we are holding informal drop-in sessions for people to learn more about the role and for help with applications if needed. Details of locations and times can be found at the bottom of this page.

View video of our patrols

How do I request and School Crossing Patrol?

Please complete the Additional School Crossing Patrol Request form, which is available at the bottom of this page.

Once you have completed the form, please use this link to upload the completed form.

Following a request we will survey the area to see if it meets the criteria which includes a vehicle and pedestrian count.

Please note: School Crossing Patrols will only be provided in areas where the vehicle and pedestrian count meets the criteria. Existing sites are reviewed periodically, and where they no longer meet the criteria will be disestablished in line with the deployment policy.

How do I cross with a School Crossing Patrol

School Crossing Patrols (lollipop ladies / men) are one of only three groups of people who are allowed to stop traffic, the others being traffic wardens and police officers. Only trained SCPs may use a “lollipop”, and they must operate at a designated site. SCPs can cross adults and children across the road.

Rules for crossing with a SCP:

  1. Walk on the pavement to the SCP

  2. Tell them you would like to cross

  3. Wait away from the kerb, on the pavement

  4. Stay on the pavement while the SCP checks it is safe and walks into the road

  5. Cross when the SCP says you can

  6. Walk across the road in a straight line (do not run)

  7. Cross in front of the SCP

  8. If you are on a bike, push it across the road

  9. Say thank you!

Some SCPs work on zebra / pelican / puffin crossings – at these locations the same rules apply. When a SCP is on duty at a light controlled crossing, members of the public should wait for them to press the button.

Remember: even where a school crossing patrol is provided, parents remain responsible for ensuring their children’s safety.

The Law

Dudley's School Crossing Patrol Service is provided under Section 26 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act, 1984.

School crossing patrols can by law stop traffic for any pedestrian to cross the road. Any motorist failing to stop when requested by a school crossing patrol is committing an offence and will be reported to the police for prosecution.

Contact Details

  • Name School Crossing Patrols Service, Economic Regeneration & Transportation
  • Address Directorate of the Urban Environment, 4 Ednam Road, Dudley, West Midlands DY1 1HL
  • Telephone 01384 815401
  • Opening Hours Monday to Friday, 8.45 am to 5.00 pm, Please note that the offices are closed at weekends and Bank Holidays