[Skip to content]


Get ready for Universal Credit

The benefits system is changing and many benefits are being phased out and replaced by Universal Credit. The new benefit has been running as a pilot in many parts of the UK and will be introduced in the Dudley borough during March and April 2015.

To begin with only single people without dependent children who are making a new claim will apply for Universal Credit. If you’re already claiming benefits you don’t need to do anything - you’ll be told when Universal Credit will affect you.

You may be able to claim Universal Credit if you’re working and on a low income or out of work. For more information contact  your local Jobcentre or visit: www.gov.uk/universal-credit

Universal Credit replaces the following benefits:
• Jobseeker’s Allowance
• Housing Benefit
• Working Tax Credit
• Child Tax Credit
• Employment and Support Allowance
• Income Support

You should apply for any other benefit separately.

The way that people claim and manage Universal Credit will be new.

The changes include:

• Most people will claim Universal Credit online
• Universal Credit will be paid directly into your bank account
• You’ll get one monthly payment for your whole household
• Housing Benefit will be paid direct to you and you will need to pay your landlord yourself.

Universal Credit and Landlords

The way you will receive payments for your rent may change with Universal Credit.

Please see the following documents for information.